Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Has any linux n00b asked where C:\ and stuff are?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Has any linux n00b asked where C:\ and stuff are?

that was my first reaction when I booted up my ubuntu the first time too. Heh, times do change tho. Now I just wish that my widnwos FS could be more organized like Linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just don't understand why anyone new to the system NEEDS to know these really. You don't have to venture outside your /home dir. Especially with synaptic/apt

The only occasion I need to really is to go to /var/www/ or editing the odd configuration file in /etc/ but again ubuntu has created a system where much of this can be done through the system menu.

I support the idea of having Nautilus/ Konqueror only able to see /home. I think that anything else should be done from CLi. Since most things outside /home/ are owned by root, nautilus offers little use anyway and for those in the know sudo nautilus or the like could offer full ls-al functionality.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by frup View Post
    I just don't understand why anyone new to the system NEEDS to know these really. You don't have to venture outside your /home dir. Especially with synaptic/apt
    Thats pretty bold.. Generalizing computer usage is what made Windows the operating system it is today...
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    "/dev/hd .. holy crap I dont have that many hard drives!!"
    oh, I like them NOW, but that was the biggest learning curve for me .. addressing and identifying my system hardware.
    LoL, I remember always trying to click on /dev/hda and getting pissed off because it wouldn't do anything besides ask me what program to open it up with.

Beans

Still, people sleep better at night if they know what's on their computers, and where. Just because I bought a new DVD that i never intend to watch doesn't mean I want some completely stranger coming into my house and hide it in some random drawer. I would much rather place it in the drawer myself, so that, if I some day actually do decide to watch it anyway, I would know where to find it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rune0077 View Post
    Still, people sleep better at night if they know what's on their computers, and where. Just because I bought a new DVD that i never intend to watch doesn't mean I want some completely stranger coming into my house and hide it in some random drawer. I would much rather place it in the drawer myself, so that, if I some day actually do decide to watch it anyway, I would know where to find it.
    But then it is just exploring for curiosities sake and not for functionality and so what ever the structure is, it shouldn't actually matter.

Beans

But then it is just exploring for curiosities sake and not for functionality and so what ever the structure is, it shouldn't actually matter.
    Yeah maybe. Dunno, maybe it's just me being paranoid, but whenever I buy a new computer with Windows preinstalled, first thing I do every time is format the harddrive and install it myself. It's like I said: it's just nice to know what's on your computer and where to find it (even if you won't need it).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

One day.. you will have to boot in single user mode, or you may install something that completely breaks X. When that day comes, you will understand what it matters, and how easy it can be to bring your system back to a usable state as opposed to windows.

Its as important as knowing about system32, program files, or Documents and Settings on a windows system. Its not just curiosity, its fundamental if you care about the depth of your technical skills moving beyond knowing the gnome menubar.
    Last edited by toupeiro; December 6th, 2007 at 02:39 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by master5o1 View Post
    Has any linux n00b come in and asked for C:\ and D:\ and stuff because there linux hasn't found there hard drive (C and/or D)...

heh...
    I think what bothers me the most about this is the sneering tone that comes from this comment.
    1. Like a previous user already commented of course they will be wondering where the drive letters are. If they are like me they will have come from 20 years of DOS and windows experience. That means 20 years of C:\ D:\ E and so on. Changing from Windows to Linux is like moving from one culture to a very different culture. You feel very out of place and have no idea where to start.
    2. You should be honoured that there are windows users here asking basic questions. Perhaps we could find something else we're good at and laugh at people learning that skill too! You wouldn't laugh at a kid learning a new sport or learning to read. Why should you laugh at people who are interested enough to try to learn something that you could teach them.
    3. I agree with those who say n00b is insulting. I came to Linux as a very experienced Windows user, you could even say "Expert". However I was very ignorant to Linux, if I came across this thread when I was first learning Ubuntu it might have been enough for me to say "to heck with those elitests".

I think this thread borders on needing to be closed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darksong View Post
    Wow you called a whole lot of your potential user base dickheads. Well Done.
    LOL, ..I got a giggle out of this...
    Other OS: WinXP | Xubuntu 7.10

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234