Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquatic Desktop Eyecandy

Beans

Re: Aquatic Desktop Eyecandy

Quote Originally Posted by Arktis
    http://xdesktopwaves.sourceforge.net/

Screenshots are included on that page. Runs nice, highly configurable. All it needs is a gui config tool. I think it should be included with future ubuntus.
    The insallation went o.k. But on running xdesktopwaves, I get the following error:

X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request: 15 (X_QueryTree)
    Resource id in failed request: 0x1400018
    Serial number of failed request: 136
    Current serial number in output stream: 136

Any idea of what's missing?

Beans

apt-get install xdesktopwaves ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by minio
    apt-get install xdesktopwaves ?
    I guess that won't solve it. I had installed Scilab using apt-get. Got a similar error.

Beans

nice!

my only problem, is that i have icons on the desktop and a black background.
    when running this, the background gets greenish (probably need to try all of the color options), but the desktop icons get fuzzy.....any suggestions on settings?
    i've already tried all of the listed transparency switches.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

It wasn't so nice after all. Got it working easily. Used it, looked quite ok. Removed it. Not beatiful enough and made basic desktop usage a big mess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thanks for the apt-file tip jobezone, you learn something new every day on these forums

Beans

Neat concept....but its more one of those "make all of your Windows friends jealous when they are over at your house and turn it off right afterwards" type things. Like Luminocity.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

hey poof. just did that... you have no idea..what this did to my roomie..
    I just left my laptop lyin around on my couch...made him just see it himself....
    -takes a glance
    -Eyes widen 0.0
    -Eyes narrow down with focus ^.^
    -jaw starts dropping
    -denial --says it may not be stable
    -realises --says..that is the coolest
    -withdrawl and acceptance - "would it run on my graphics card too?"

LOL...UMMM Im lovin it! thanks for the link!
    PS- seems to be taking a ton of Processor share...not sure if it would work for daily use...only time will tell.
    Last edited by byen; September 7th, 2005 at 07:13 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by byen
    hey poof. just did that... you have no idea..what this did to my roomie..
    I just left my laptop lyin around on my couch...made him just see it himself....
    -takes a glance
    -Eyes widen 0.0
    -Eyes narrow down with focus ^.^
    -jaw starts dropping
    -denial --says it may not be stable
    -realises --says..that is the coolest
    -withdrawl and acceptance - "would it run on my graphics card too?"

My favorites for that are the 3D Desktop switcher and E16's minimize trick!
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

After reading about people's difficulties (and easy successes) as well as critiques, I want to add a few things.

1.) This is a toy. If you are worried about performance, you definately shouldn't have it on all the time. Personally, I have two vid cards and a 2 ghz athlon. On the AGP 128 MB NVIDIA card, it runs smooth and wonderful and loverly. On the PCI 64 MB NVIDIA card, it's laggy and clunky (especially when trying moving a window). Also I am unable to get good performance out of 3d games unless I turn it off. Anyhow, this leads me to believe that it's more reliant on your video card's muscle power than your cpu's, but a low-end cpu would probably still be able to hurt performance; just not as much as a low-end card.

my only problem, is that i have icons on the desktop and a black background.
    when running this, the background gets greenish (probably need to try all of the color options), but the desktop icons get fuzzy.....any suggestions on settings?
    i've already tried all of the listed transparency switches.
    2.) It appears to put horizontal bars across your desktop. My desktop is also black with no wallpaper and when I run xdesktopwaves, it it creates the same effect. I don't know if this is configurable or not. I haven't really played with any of the options. I didn't know about the icon problem though, because I have no icons on my desktop.

3.) It's highly flexible. Just looking at what you can do by adding arguments to the command is neato, and may yeild noticable performance boosts. But it isn't perfect and IMHO it's not finished and needs more features/methods of drawing itself.

4.) Suprisingly, it IS stable. This came as a shock to me personally.

5.) Sorry to those who had install troubles. I didn't have any, but then again I always load my system with all the extra libraries and dev packages I come across.

As development on this continues, you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be following it. Hopefully my next computer is going to kick so much butt that running xdestopwaves won't even make it blink.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast