Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MIDI Software Synthesis

Hybrid View

Beans

MIDI Software Synthesis

The thread is for questions about the MIDI Software Synthesis HOWTO

Beans

Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

Ask questions here, and the answers will be gradually incorporated into the Wiki page.

Beans

the HOWTO is very clear if you want to use a software synthesis, but I want to use my Sound Blaster Live! hardware synthetizer. what MIDI player should I use? I've tried with other distros and It never runs. I think its beacuse I must load the soundfonts, How can I do it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanchico
    the HOWTO is very clear if you want to use a software synthesis, but I want to use my Sound Blaster Live! hardware synthetizer. what MIDI player should I use? I've tried with other distros and It never runs. I think its beacuse I must load the soundfonts, How can I do it?
    Regarding playing MIDI on Sound Blaster Live! and Audigy series, I have written a how-to for Mandriva distro before, recently I have tested it with Sarge but there's something need to be tweaked to make it work. I am installing Ubuntu tonight so I will find out how it goes and once I get it working I will post my feedback here.

Note: A guide for SB Live! hardware synthesizer can be found in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30963

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I hope you read this.

I'm having the strangest bug. I've configured timidity correctly in Hoary, along with Scummvm (using alsa and timidity's midi server on port 128:0). Yesterday, I upgraded to Breezy. Now, when I launch a midi game in scummvm, I cant hear the music, only the voices. If I create a new timidity client, and make scummvm use it (129:0), it all works correctly.

I really hope you can help me

Beans

I installed Timidity and the freepats and the manual says that only with that installed I should be able to hear some midi file, but I don't. What's the problem?
    (Running on a AMD 3400+, 256MB Ram)
    Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fishfork
    Ask questions here, and the answers will be gradually incorporated into the Wiki page.
    I have questions abvout three errors I get while using timidity with dosbox. I did not install any soundfonts.

After installing timidity as described in the HOWTO, sound began to work in dosbox when run from the terminal. I do still get the following errors, however:
    Code:
    ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0)
    MIDI:Opened device:oss
    1. What does the first error mean and how do I correct it?
    2. Why is dosbox using OSS instead of ALSA? Is there a way to correct this? Does it matter?

Also, sound doesn't work when running dosbox from an application launcher. I get the following errors:
    Code:
    MIXER:Can't open audio: No available audio device , running in nosound mode.
    3. Why do I have to run from the terminal to get sound to work? Is it a permissions issue? How do I fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zoarre
    I have questions abvout three errors I get while using timidity with dosbox. I did not install any soundfonts.

After installing timidity as described in the HOWTO, sound began to work in dosbox when run from the terminal. I do still get the following errors, however:
    Code:
    1. What does the first error mean and how do I correct it?
    2. Why is dosbox using OSS instead of ALSA? Is there a way to correct this? Does it matter?

Also, sound doesn't work when running dosbox from an application launcher. I get the following errors:
    Code:
    MIXER:Can't open audio: No available audio device , running in nosound mode.
    3. Why do I have to run from the terminal to get sound to work? Is it a permissions issue? How do I fix this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi, you'll have to use a customized dosbox.conf file. First, copy /usr/share/doc/dosbox/dosbox.conf.example.gz into your home directory. Gunzip it:
    Code:
    gunzip dosbox.conf.example.gz
    , and edit it, go to the [midi] section, and add 128:0 next to config= . So it looks like this:
    Code:
    mpu401=true
    intelligent=true
    device=default
    config=128:0
    Now this will be your default dosbox.conf file. I advise you to have a dosbox.conf file inside each game directory, specifically tuned to it. Then, in the game's launcher, make the command be something like this:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/dosbox -conf "/home/ines/jogos/Heart of China/dosbox.conf" "/home/ines/jogos/Heart of China/HOC.EXE"
    You also said "I did not install any soundfonts" . But you must install at least one.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install freepats
    P.S.-I haven't tested this yet with a midi game in dosbox, but now it won't give you errors.
    P.S.S.-Hope these instructions aren't too confusing...
    Last edited by jobezone; January 14th, 2006 at 08:39 PM.
    Are you into the White-Plastic Life-Style?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jobezone
    Hi, you'll have to use a customized dosbox.conf file. First, copy /usr/share/doc/dosbox/dosbox.conf.example.gz into your home directory. Gunzip it:
    Code:
    gunzip dosbox.conf.example.gz
    , and edit it, go to the [midi] section, and add 128:0 next to config= . So it looks like this:
    Code:
    mpu401=true
    intelligent=true
    device=default
    config=128:0
    Now this will be your default dosbox.conf file. I advise you to have a dosbox.conf file inside each game directory, specifically tuned to it. Then, in the game's launcher, make the command be something like this:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/dosbox -conf "/home/ines/jogos/Heart of China/dosbox.conf" "/home/ines/jogos/Heart of China/HOC.EXE"
    You also said "I did not install any soundfonts" . But you must install at least one.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install freepats
    P.S.-I haven't tested this yet with a midi game in dosbox, but now it won't give you errors.
    P.S.S.-Hope these instructions aren't too confusing...

Bit of a bump here, but this is a great bit of advice - I was constantly getting the 65 error, but editting the dosbox.config to 128 worked a treat!

Beans

Any suggestions on getting lmms or rosegarden4 or anything to play back with timidity? I have timidity running in a command window:

timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

and if I use kmid or pmidi, the file plays fine.

If I use lmms or rosegarden4 I can't get anything to play. For example with lmms I get these errors:

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:231snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC0D0 failed: No such file or directory
    cannot open MIDI-device: No such file or directory
    Couldn't create MIDI-client, neither with ALSA nor with OSS. Will use dummy-MIDI-client.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

dwh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast