Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: MIDI Software Synthesis

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rumplestiltskin, Cal.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

    The * Midi*SoftwareSynthesisHowTo page says:

    You may then install the package 'eawpatches' (a 31 MB download). Alternatively, if you don't want to add this repository, you may download the package here: http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/etch/misc/deb/

    the link is dead for me as of 1-21-09.

    Please tell me how to install the 24 meg patch.
    AMD Athlon II X4 620, 4gig ddr2-800, m/b MSI K9N6PGM2, 1T SATA, EVGA 9500GT, Brother MFC-240C prntr, LG DVD-rom GSA-H55N

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_in_Hollywood View Post
    The * Midi*SoftwareSynthesisHowTo page says:

    You may then install the package 'eawpatches' (a 31 MB download). Alternatively, if you don't want to add this repository, you may download the package here: http://www.fbriere.net/debian/dists/etch/misc/deb/

    the link is dead for me as of 1-21-09.

    Please tell me how to install the 24 meg patch.
    I just updated the URL for eawpatches package. Mentioned this already but forgot to change the HowTo.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

    I just updated the HowTo with the link for the latest version of eawpatches package 12-1~fbriere.5 for those who do not use the repository.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    3

    Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

    I can't get permissions to edit the /etc/timidiy/timidity.cfg file. I am new to Ubuntu and don't know how to gain the necessary permissions. Can someone do a step-by-step on how to edit such files through the terminal?

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    EU - Belgium
    Beans
    146

    Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

    did you try
    sudo gedit /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg
    and keying in your user password when the system asks for a password ?

    Alain
    www.comitedequartiermessidor.be
    Last edited by alainhenry; October 15th, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Beans
    50
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by schaumkeks View Post
    I just updated the URL for eawpatches package. Mentioned this already but forgot to change the HowTo.
    Neither `sudo apt-get install eawpatches` nor Synaptic could find 'eawpatches'. I visited the site and found the verification key and installation instructions. After adding the key, Synaptic found 'eawpatches' and it is installing as I write this.

    The verification key and instructions to install it can be found at: http://www.fbriere.net/debian/

    As of this date, Sun March 28, 2010 03:17, the instructions read (I'm quoting the web page above):

    "How to verify package signatures

    All packages in this collection can be verified against my OpenPGP public key. (Of course, since this key isn't signed by anybody else at the moment, the web of trust doesn't extend far, but it's somewhat better than nothing.)

    To enable this verification, you need to add this key to apt's keyring. Here's one of the various possible ways to do this:

    wget -O- http://www.fbriere.net/public_key.html | sudo apt-key add -

    Running apt-get update will then verify this archive's signature.

    (See Debian Wiki for a thorough explanation of secure apt.)"


    Hope this helps others as it helped me!

    John

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Beans
    63

    TiMidity doesn't autostart in Ubuntu 12.04

    Hello,

    I am trying to get TiMidity to start on boot on Ubuntu 12.04.
    I followed the instructions on the Help wiki, and when I start it manually, it works, and I can use TuxGuitar to play through the new Midi ports.

    I start it manually with, per the wiki:
    timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

    I also added the modules to /etc/modules, and changed /etc/default/timidity line:
    TIM_ALSASEQ=true

    Can anyone help? Thanks!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    61
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: TiMidity doesn't autostart in Ubuntu 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by kblood View Post
    Hello,

    I am trying to get TiMidity to start on boot on Ubuntu 12.04.
    I followed the instructions on the Help wiki, and when I start it manually, it works, and I can use TuxGuitar to play through the new Midi ports.

    I start it manually with, per the wiki:
    timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os1l -s 44100

    I also added the modules to /etc/modules, and changed /etc/default/timidity line:
    TIM_ALSASEQ=true

    Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Wish I could, but I'm actually running into the same problem myself.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: TiMidity doesn't autostart in Ubuntu 12.04

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonSharkKisame View Post
    Wish I could, but I'm actually running into the same problem myself.
    Same here.

    Also, something strange I noticed. When I edit /etc/default/timidity, it looks like this:

    Code:
    # uncomment to override enabling triggered by availability of timidity-deamon
    # TIM_ALSASEQ=false
    But, according to the wiki, it should be

    Code:
    # TIM_ALSASEQ=true
    Anyway, I changed it to true and uncommented it. Just thought it should be clearer.

    I'm using Linux Mint 12 Mate, btw.

    UPDATE: Well, it was working when I tried manually. Then I tried to make it work on startup. It didn't. Now I changed /etc/default/timidity and /etc/modules to the way they were before, but timidity just won't work anymore. Beautiful.

    ANOTHER UPDATE: then I struggled with Qsynth, to no avail, then I uninstalled and reinstalled TiMidity, and it's working again. I'll just be satsified with that.
    Last edited by BozoDel; July 31st, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: update, mispelling, another update

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    2

    Re: MIDI Software Synthesis

    Good golly, now it works when I test it with some random midi, but not the server. I didn't change a thing from the time it was working.

    EDIT so very sorry about this post. Turns out timidity WAS working properly, but DOSBox wasn't, cause I had overwritten some part of the config file. It's alright now.
    Last edited by BozoDel; August 2nd, 2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: problem solved

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •