Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Users who impose their beliefs on others

Beans

Re: Users who impose their beliefs on others

I agree no one should impose their beliefs on others, except the forum's code of conduct.
    Last edited by LaRoza; December 3rd, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well done Matthew...very well done...I take mine rare...even bleu.
    my JAMENDO * The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans and Z was my donor! * Tarot and Poya Sutra | * # 12755

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

We need a Firefox extension that filters out/replaces offending words for the easily offended (when loading websites, not when posting). The easily offended can install it, while the rest of us can use whichever words we want...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I can't recall any of them forbidding the use of any word that starts with the letter 'p'.
    You said Pee

But seriously, I couldn't agree more
    -- Really it's not a big deal,...some of my best friends are microsoft certified engineers. --

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Ok.. now I am interested.

What is the "p" word? I cant remember ANY insulting word starting with p..

pagan?
    lol. The offensive phrase was "pissed off."

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I think the worst are the atheists who believe that since they are right, no one else has the right to express such "stupid" beliefs.

Also, any conversation about religious issues seems to turn to a Christian bashing arena, look at "Crazy".
    Yeah, it definitely goes in multiple directions. It is absolutely not my desire to bash Christians or members of any other faith. I do note with some satisfaction that Jesus wasn't very easy on the religious fundamentalists of his day, the Pharisees. I think that is our real analog here, not the average Christian who is just trying to live well and treat others with the kindness they have received.

There are certainly ugly zealots among the atheist crowd as well, and among the Free Software crowd--but I wouldn't paint all members of either group the same color and say that anyone who believes that there is no God, or that believes that all software should be free (as in freedom) and open source is going to act in a bad manner. There are also people like this in Islam, and I've met a few really pushy Hari Krishnas, which is just as ironic and annoying.

In all these cases, it is the (unfortunately quite vocal) minority.

Again, I'm not against faith or strong beliefs. I'm against arrogance. I have some pretty strong beliefs myself, but I live by them, welcoming anyone who asks me about them and is interested, and choose never to push them on others.
    Last edited by matthew; December 3rd, 2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: tried to make the tone softer
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

I think the worst are the atheists who believe that since they are right, no one else has the right to express such "stupid" beliefs.

Also, any conversation about religious issues seems to turn to a Christian bashing arena, look at "Crazy".
    I am suddenly aware that in this reply I am moving away from the spirit of this thread, but I can't help myself;

Religion, all religion, is some extent (and usually all the way) a statement of groundless, ill thought out repetition, I'm sure all will agree this is a statement of fact. Why would those of us who have not opted for such a way of life wish to be castigated because we have not been convinced that religion (cult, sect etc.) A B or C is 'correct'.

Sorry again,

Ryan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza
    What is "Christian bashing"? Please define it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rye_ View Post
    I am suddenly aware that in this reply I am moving away from the spirit of this thread, but I can't help myself;

Religion, all religion, is some extent (and usually all the way) a statement of groundless, ill thought out repetition, I'm sure all will agree this is a statement of fact. Why would those of us who have not opted for such a way of life wish to be castigated because we have not been convinced that religion (cult, sect etc.) A B or C is 'correct'.

Sorry again,

Ryan
    Being sorry is different from saying you are sorry. You intended to start us veering off on a different path. You are sorry this is going to be taken as rude, but you aren't sorry for doing it.

Also, you are dangerously close to providing a good example of what I am talking about..."I'm sure all will agree?" I'm not. In fact, I'm sure many will disagree and that your comments will give rise to a flame fest if I don't put a stop to it.

Sheesh. Should I just mention Hitler now and Godwin the whole thread?

People, let's keep the posts on topic, please. Thank you.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Reading your post, you come across as a person who is part of the problem. On one hand you condemn atheists for not allowing free expression of beliefs and on the other complain about criticism of christianity as "bashing".
    Touting "community" as a strength of a distribution is the equivalent of stating that it has poor documentation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    What is "Christian bashing"? Please define it.
    You knock 'em out with a bat and drag them to the Colosseum . . .

I kid.

@Matthew: This is really bad. Bad bad. Are you alright bad. What'd you take bad. But I read about half way into you post thinking the p word was "proprietary." I wrote one, simple, nothing-to-it, hello-world window manager and my mind has GNU/rotted away. Anyway, I'll pray for you(r forums' sanity.)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast