Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: difference between c and c++

Beans

Re: difference between c and c++

Quote Originally Posted by Auria View Post
    huh, the first C++ compiler ever did that, i would be extremely surprised to learn that any recent C++ compiler still works like that
    The one in the link did.

C is translated to assembly in gcc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dptxp View Post
    Java, derived from C, has two major differences, there is no goto and
    there are no pointers.

All 3 are pretty similar.
    The point here is that they are syntactically similar but then the similarity ends. Those of us who are used to a switch statement in C (and convert all options to integer values) find it requires thought when you start using a switch in Java. And I am sure there are many other examples, but I cannot spare time to research it.
    Mick 'n Keef rock, Chas beats time and Ronnie is the new boy
    Registered as user 466848 with the Linux Counter. Registered Ubuntu User 22858. Our company website or our new venture

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Auria View Post
    huh, the first C++ compiler ever did that, i would be extremely surprised to learn that any recent C++ compiler still works like that
    One of the best C++ compilers out there (Comeau) still produces C code. Those guys decided they'd let C compilers handle the low-level stuff, so they could focus on C++ standard-compliance.

AFAIK they're the only compiler who handles the export keyword (which tells much about the rest, since export is a very small detail in the standard, yet quite hard to implement).

Back to C vs C++... IMHO PHP is closer to C than C is close to C++. IOW, don't let the syntax fool you, they don't have much in common.
    Last edited by aks44; December 6th, 2007 at 07:31 PM.
    Not even tinfoil can save us now...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234