Thread: Civ4 post-install pre-playing problems

Beans
    Hidden!

Civ4 post-install pre-playing problems

Hi. After about a week of tinkering, I've finally managed to (sort of ) install Civ 4.

There are some things that should show up (say the how-tos) but don't.

For example, under regedit, I have no "Direct3D" folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Wine

If that's not there, I can't change my videomemorysize.

Civ4 does bring up popus telling me my videomemory size is too low, but if I understand correctly, that's because the default is set to 64mb, while i have a 128mb card.

My problem stems from this, I think.
    Code:
    err:menubuilder:WinMain failed to build menu item for C:\Program Files\Civ4\CivilizationIV.ini.lnk

Full output of terminal: (minus fixme:'s)

Code:
    me@mycomputer: wine Civilization4.exe 
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
    err:menubuilder:WinMain failed to build menu item for C:\Program Files\Civ4\Saves.lnk
    err:menubuilder:WinMain failed to build menu item for C:\Program Files\Civ4\Logs.lnk
    err:menubuilder:WinMain failed to build menu item for C:\Program Files\Civ4\CivilizationIV.ini.lnk
    err:d3d:getColorBits Unsupported format: WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F
    err:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_IsPixelFormatCompatibleWithRenderFmt Unable to check compatibility for Format=WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F
    err:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_IsPixelFormatCompatibleWithRenderFmt Unable to check compatibility for Format=WINED3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F
    err:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Resolution change not successful -- perhaps display has changed?
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 55 (SPI_SETMOUSEKEYS)
    fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
    err:d3d_surface:surface_prepare_system_memory Surface without memory or pbo has SFLAG_INSYSMEM set!
    err:d3d_surface:surface_prepare_system_memory Surface without memory or pbo has SFLAG_INSYSMEM set!
    How do I fix, please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Civ4 post-install pre-playing problems

You can make a text file containing:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
    "VideoMemorySize"="128"

Save it as: "desired-name-of-file.reg". You can import the file into the registry using:

wine regedit desired-name-of-file.reg

or just:

wine regedit

and choose to import it manually.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks! That's handy.

Now how can I let wine "build menu item for C:\Program Files\Civ4\CivilizationIV.ini.lnk" ,

please?

I need to have that file created so I can edit it and have sound work.

Beans

I also get pretty much all the same errors. Ive installed all the extra files in the /system32 folder. Game loads, but after the intro screen, wine just goes blue and crashes back to gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I installed Civ4 with the guide from this page, and now it works perfectly, except for some minor sound problems http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=5254

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: Civ4 post-install pre-playing problems

Hi all, a newbie here, am trying to play Civ 4 on my laptop running hardy, i've installed it with wine, installed the 1.74 patch and no cd patch. when i attempt to run the game i get the following in an OK box

error locating tag node in setglobalclassinfo function
    current xml file is: game info/civ4playeroptioninfos.xml

directly followed by another OK box which states

error locating tag node in setglobalclass info function
    current xml file is: gameinfo/civ4graphicoptioninfos.xml

Its probably a really stupid question with an easy answer but any help would be much appreciated!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Raistlin82: Have you set msxml3.dll, msxml3r.dll and d3dx_36.dll as native in winecfg for Civilization4.exe? If not, go to the Wine AppDB website and follow the directions there. The game plays great under Hardy and the newest wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Pretty sure I have done that but will check it out, thanks for the reply! Am having Civ withdrawel!!!

yeah tried it again, same problem unfortunately Think the best option would be just to try uninstalling and starting from scratch
    Last edited by Raistlin82; June 12th, 2008 at 02:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: Civ4 post-install pre-playing problems

I've uninstalled and tried to install civ 4 complete, installation runs fine, but get the same error as before, 2 xml errors, please help i need my civ fix!

Edit - Reinstalled with Civ complete, managed to install fine, and to get origional civ 4 to load, but it tells me that my system is below spec and may not run, when you actually try to play it hangs the whole system Will just have to boot up windows me thinks, not done that in weeks but I miss it and it runs as designed there.
    Last edited by Raistlin82; June 12th, 2008 at 02:52 AM. Reason: :-(