Thread: Help Needed with VirtualBox and Ubuntu 7.10

Beans

Help Needed with VirtualBox and Ubuntu 7.10

Hi Guys,

I am running VirtualBox on a WinXP Host with an Ubuntu 7.10 Guest. The screen resolution problems are well documented, but I have installed the Guest Additions. Now, I need to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to allow me to up the resolution. However, when I try to use Gedit to edit this file, it allows me to make changes but when I try to save them, it gives me the following error message:

You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

How do I edit the file? Do I have to use the terminal? Any help would be very much appreciated, especially as I am fairly new to Linux.

Thanks.
    Stefan.

Beans

Re: Help Needed with VirtualBox and Ubuntu 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am running VirtualBox on a WinXP Host with an Ubuntu 7.10 Guest. The screen resolution problems are well documented, but I have installed the Guest Additions. Now, I need to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to allow me to up the resolution. However, when I try to use Gedit to edit this file, it allows me to make changes but when I try to save them, it gives me the following error message:

You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

How do I edit the file? Do I have to use the terminal? Any help would be very much appreciated, especially as I am fairly new to Linux.

Thanks.
    Stefan.

in terminal, wrote

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    then , it will work

or you can press, alt+f2 and wrote
    gksudo gedit

then, you can do what ever you want

Beans

Re: Help Needed with VirtualBox and Ubuntu 7.10

That is exactly what I was looking for. Got it sorted, thanks.

Stefan