Thread: How to configure controls for mednafen?

Threaded View

Beans

Question How to configure controls for mednafen?

Hi, I've installed Mednafen (emulator), and it works great, but I can't figure out how to configure my gamepad to work with it.

When I run it (mednafen /path/to/rom), I get this:

Starting Mednafen 0.8.1
    Loading settings from "/home/vertimyst/.mednafen/mednafen.cfg"...
    Initializing joysticks...
    Joystick 0 - Logitech Logitech Dual Action - Unique ID: ce96ea6b9d7ca56a
    Once I'm in-game, I hit F1 for the help. One of the options is 'F2 - Configure Command Key'. So I hit that.

This is where it gets confusing. At the bottom of the screen, I get 'Press a command key now'. Here, I assume I'm supposed to go 'alt+shift+n' (where n is the port - I have no idea what number I'm supposed to use, though, so I tried 1).

I get random responses each time, from nothing at all to '1(1)', '1(2)', etc. I think this is because I've messed up the configuration or something. I'm doing a reinstall right now.

So does anyone know how to configure the controls in this program? I've looked all over, and some people say to use F4 (a non-existent shortcut in my version), while others have said to simply do alt+shift+n right from the start, which also does nothing for me.

-EDIT-

Nevermind, I managed to figure it out. It turns out that by configuring the 'command keys', I had messed up the emulator shortcuts. Since reinstalling mednafen didn't fix this, I realized that the config file wasn't being recreated. So I manually deleted it, and that fixed the problem.

So, to configure the controls, start Mednafen and load your rom:

Code:
    mednafen /path/to/rom
    And hold down alt+shift and press 1. It should display a direction/button, followed by a number. Simply press the key you want to use for that direction/button. Pressing it a second time confirms the setting, and the setup moves on.
    Last edited by Scooter7; November 28th, 2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Solved
    -Vertimyst