Thread: Local Meetups

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Local Meetups

I'd like to organize local meetups in regions of Louisiana where we live. I know there are more people in the southern areas so far, and I'd love to make it down for a full team meetup at some point. However, I think we might get more participation from smaller local gathers.

Who lives within an hour of Monroe that would like to setup a weekly or every two weeks meetup?

-R2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Local Meetups

Ok, if there isn't interest up here, does someone want to take initiative to start local meetups in other areas?

Or maybe just post what meetups you know of in your part of Louisiana?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well this is a bit disappointing. I was just fixing to post almost the same thing, but it looks like there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Me and a friend are looking to start something in the Pineville/Alexandria area. I wasn't sure if it would be better to concentrate on a single area of the state, or have one statewide group. I plan to put up a few fliers around the local colleges and do some word of mouth marketing also. I'd really like to get an idea of how many people might be interested before really trying to get things off the ground. While Monroe isn't the closest thing, I wouldn't be against having meetups there, though not quite that often.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm hoping we are just having people busy over the holidays,...

I'd say we try for parallel groups in smaller areas, with more frequent meets. If we can get a few groups going it would make the state wide meets more interesting like quarterly.

Have you signed up on the Louisiana LoCo Team's launchpad site?

-R2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wharp, I just saw where you and your friend have signed up on the team, I guess I should read more threads before I ask too many questions!

Awesome Welcome aboard!

-R2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Heh, not a problem. I have issue with reading sometimes too.

We're in the process of starting a local LUG, but so far its just the 2 of us. I do have high hopes though, but I could be over estimating the local interest in Linux. Actually I was surprise by the number of people in the LoCo already.

I do know that Baton Rouge has a pretty active LoCo though. The others in the state don't see to have any recent updates on their websites. That is, those whose websites are actually still up.

As an aside, does anyone regularly use the IRC channel, or is it just for meetings and such?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wharp View Post
    Heh, not a problem. I have issue with reading sometimes too.

As an aside, does anyone regularly use the IRC channel, or is it just for meetings and such?
    I know wharp made it in the channel, but for anyone else reading this:

There are usually 2-3 people in the channel during regular work hours so feel free to join in and see what's happening. Evenings are a bit different, but people generally join after 9 pm or so.

Beans

I live in Monroe and attend ULM. I'd be interested in attending a few meet-ups if we can get a little group together.