Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: If Linux development tools are supposed to be is so good -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: If Linux development tools are supposed to be is so good -

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkBuntu View Post
    Dreamweaver is sorta useless once you're coding sites with lots of relevant programming logic and templating. In fact, although I have the Adobe suite, I only use Photoshop all the time on my computer (although I touch Illustrator on occasion). If Linux had an FTP client as good as Transmit for the Mac, Photoshop available, and maybe enough hacks available to make GEdit as good as TextMate, I never would've stopped using Linux for development.
    Photoshop 7 runs fine in WINE (If you're content using that version, I haven't tried any of the newer versions. I just use mine to open psd's, and I do my main gfx in The Gimp).
    I'd also like to know what exactly makes Transmit such a good client?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am very reluctant to commit myself to another non-free editor, time spent to master a tool is wasted when you cannot use that tool on your next task.
    Pmasiar, I think your overall post is brilliant, very insightful, and to my mind, the quote I give above, is right on the money (particularly if like me you are self-employed)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ubuntu = Community = helping one another = Happier people

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks, it is great to be back after a week-long ban

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    Thanks, it is great to be back after a week-long ban
    Welcome back!

As for your favourite editor you mention, I can't find a native Linux editor like Crimson Editor either. However, the Linux editors are good, and I have no problems with them, and since I do web development on Windows, I can use Crimson Editor then.

(Windows has my AMPP, and all my browsers for testing)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jonne View Post
    Photoshop 7 runs fine in WINE (If you're content using that version, I haven't tried any of the newer versions. I just use mine to open psd's, and I do my main gfx in The Gimp).
    I'd also like to know what exactly makes Transmit such a good client?
    Photoshop 7 is ridiculously far behind CS3. I would be unable to view other designer's comps, submit comps of my own, and I'd be missing tons of features found in newer versions of Photoshop. Transmit is very user-friendly and very reliable, as well as quick. I've never had a transfer fail with Transmit, while every single non-CLI Linux FTP client failed when moving a decent-sized site.
    Need help with CSS and web development? Drop by CSS Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dreamweaver is a waste of time/money if you are developing on the windows environment. What is so great, the word/function completion, syntax highlighting, ftp support, or even the wysiwyg mode?

Well, if you know your code, and don't mind customizing your syntax highlighting, I suggest that you use notepad++. Just google it, you'll find it. The program does have word completion, but its not very advanced. Also, the program does have FTP support, which is actually better than dreamweaver's ftp support.

I can run it in wine... but it just doesn't seem complete running it with wine. Running anything with wine doesn't seem to run all that well...

So does anybody know any good FTP programs for linux? Or, even better, FTP programs with FTP support?
    Douglass M. Morin
    DougMorin.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dougmorin View Post
    So does anybody know any good FTP programs for linux? Or, even better, FTP programs with FTP support?
    gFtp is what I used, or ftp from the command line.

Beans

I didnt read all the post so sorry if im restating something. I think all this logic is flawed. The assumption has been up to this point that businesses are smart and would naturaly buy tools to alow faster and better development. But, I know first hand that at least one company doesnt do this. This argument is kinda like saying "WINDOWS RULES BECAUSE EVERYONE USES IT!!!."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This thread's a bit old...
    Programming is an art. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456