Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

Beans

Another Linux Desktop Readiness Thread

First, before I say anything else let me say that I want you all to circulate this all around the linux community. Also I would like to say thank you all who this summer helped me get compiz fusion to work. I have used Ubuntu before. I have been an open source fan before.

Why is everybody so obsessed about linux and open source? Every pc magazine I read “Embrace Open Source” or “switch to linux” Linux to me is not that great. During my first boot I needed to use the command line to install my wireless driver. I needed to do the same thing for flash and java. A normal Windows user uses the device manager or an *.exe file or plain old active x. You people see the difference? Nobody has time for the command line. And you people actually have the nerve to say “linux is the future”? What are you people basing that off of? Im not ignorant though, I see your side of hating Microsoft. I really do! But is it worth it to switch? I don’t think so! You guys are like feminist, you people take yourselves way too seriously! Face the truth! Linux = Windows 3.1! A graphics layer on top of a command line! Except Linux is actually an O.S. and 3.1 was not! Linux is only good 4 servers and small computers like phones and pda's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Tell this to everyone!

you're entitled to an opinion. you've already made up your mind. so don't expect me to try and talk you into using linux. have fun using whatever OS. goodbye.

Beans

Let me be the first to say: Linux is not Windows. Linux isn't .exe's and My Documents. You didn't HAVE to use the command line for any of the things you mentioned. There were graphical alternatives--you simply were not aware of them. You're used to going to get drivers from manufacturer's websites. Linux typically has a different route because manufacturers don't always support linux.

If you're looking for Linux to be a better Windows, you're in for heartbreak. If you want Linux to be a better OS, give it 30 days and you'll never look back.
    Knowledge exists to be imparted.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just remember that Windows Vista just won the hall of shame in the top ten worst tech products of all time. My roommate despite having a brand new Asus gaming laptop can't even connect to my wireless AP. Every computer I have can including two laptops, an iMac, and my iPhone. I booted an Ubuntu CD in it just to see if it was something wrong with his hardware and guess what? It connected with no issues what so ever.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39...3700-10,00.htm
    -Chayak

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I respect your opinion, biased though.

Did you ever tried to install windows using a general windows distribution ? Not the one that comes pre-packaged with the comp you buy. You will then understand what is the meaning of pain to get and install needed drivers.

Between, I wasted one whole day trying to install xp on a friends laptop (as he wanted it just in case) which came bundled with vista home and couldnot go beyond the second boot, 'cos the drivers are not compatible. I didnot had any problem with any of the drivers/settings with Gutsy. Now I am happy that he donot want windows anyways..

Girish
    Shiny aroma black VAIO running minty Elyssa

Beans

sorry guys i was not trying to be rude!

Beans

Btw, I build computers. Im running Vista with no problems AT ALL!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Shaan,
    Please don't invite flame wars with such topics. Nobody is forcing you to use Linux. Use the one you are happy with.

Btw, I build computers. Im running Vista with no problems AT ALL!
    That's great if it works for you. GNU/Linux is not for everyone. I just want you to use what you feel is best for you.

I built my own comptuter, and run Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon on it with no problems.

I needed to do the same thing (use a command line) for flash and java.
    I just used Add/Remove to install flash and java. As for my printer, an HP PSC 1650, Ubuntu detected it automatically.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Everyone has an opinion... No need to circulate this garbage. You may like vista better whereas I had BSOD on first day of install on that. So I choose to view differently. Also linux may not be for you but that does not mean you should change other peoples view's. Thanks for trying it though and farewell.
    Current Ubuntu Version: Ubuntu 18.04 X64
    Ubuntu User for 10+ Years...
    Phone: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on Android O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast