Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Command-line vs. graphical user interface

Beans

Command-line vs. graphical user interface

Hi tech people!
    Many, many years ago I had many an altercation on early Linux BBS with "real" users who were against making the use of Linux easy. The problem is still here today, I see.

There has been so much brilliant work by so many people on this ONLY ALTERNATIVE that it is a shame to see that support is still very much "black screen" O S level.

Especially coupled with how easy it is to total a Linux system from the cmd line, it would be a great idea to focus more on simple-as-possible = graphics help.

In my case, I have only ever in 10 years got two installs of Linux to work:
    Suse 9.2 and when I upgraded to Suse 10 - it totalled the system.
    Ubuntu 7.04 on one out of three systems - a 4 y.o. Sony portable.

By "work" I mean including sound, decent graphics, Internet. Surprisingly, it is usually internet connections that fail me - and this is the primary purpose of my using it!

So, my question really is: does anyone (non-techhead) ever really get it to go on in one go, without a lot of tech knowhow?

I know millions of people download it like me and never get it to go, otherwise it would rule the world by now. What is the problem, still?

Beans

Re: How can I avoid the #@$% CMD LINE?

I believe a lot of people get everything running with no problems. It's sort of a hardware crap-shoot in some situations.

Anyway, if you're expecting the command line to go away any time soon I wouldn't hold your breath. The command line is the bread and butter of Linux. It's the MAIN reason I use Linux. There's plenty of "graphic help" -- just search the web and you'll find page after page of howto's on every subject you can imagine.

If you're really against it, there are GUI tools for configuring things like networks. I know for a fact that Fedora has GUI tools to configure most everything. In the end, the GUIs are just wrappers on top of the configuration file you'd be editing in a terminal anyway.
    This statement is false

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diogenes2 View Post
    Hi tech people!
    Many, many years ago I had many an altercation on early Linux BBS with "real" users who were against making the use of Linux easy. The problem is still here today, I see.

There has been so much brilliant work by so many people on this ONLY ALTERNATIVE that it is a shame to see that support is still very much "black screen" O S level.

Especially coupled with how easy it is to total a Linux system from the cmd line, it would be a great idea to focus more on simple-as-possible = graphics help.

In my case, I have only ever in 10 years got two installs of Linux to work:
    Suse 9.2 and when I upgraded to Suse 10 - it totalled the system.
    Ubuntu 7.04 on one out of three systems - a 4 y.o. Sony portable.

By "work" I mean including sound, decent graphics, Internet. Surprisingly, it is usually internet connections that fail me - and this is the primary purpose of my using it!

So, my question really is: does anyone (non-techhead) ever really get it to go on in one go, without a lot of tech knowhow?

I know millions of people download it like me and never get it to go, otherwise it would rule the world by now. What is the problem, still?
    By the CMD line I'm going to assume that you want to open the Terminal and that is found in Applications>Accessories and click Terminal. Believe me that is what you are looking for qnd the first command line you will need is, at the promt, sudo adept_manager and from there you will be able to get the software you will need to work on your unit.

Now, as for getting it up and running, I have asked a total of five questions here so I am a cherry in every respect. Yes, I have had great success and in fact I will not pay Microsoft for another OS for myself ever again. My machine loaded and set itself up completely on Ubuntu 7.04 and I have upgraded to 7.10 and still have not had any problems that did not involve my own ignorance and each time someone here has given me the answer without any cute remarks.

Now, attitude., Right off the bat you will dislike me. When you learn not to talk down to folks you'll find that there is a world full of helpful people in the Linux world. Now, short of an attitude adjustment, you are free to go purchase the latest, better than 200 dollar, version of Windows and cuss it because your hardware will not operate with it.

Beans

Hi Th1Bil & Jordan,

To clarify what I mean a little further:
    1. I have already been amazed at how far the GUI (read: easy-2-use) install procedure has come since Ubuntu arrived.

No, I NEVER want to use the cmd line again! (See the warning about swines posting destructive "help" codes here. http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=73

It is soooo easy to total a system with a small error in obtuse (non-human analysable) coding, by simple human error.

My question related to the completely unnecessary fixation people have with the CMD line "Black Screen Of Death so often". I certainly didn't infer anything negative about the users and help here, merely that most of the real world does not want to know anything about the "engine" - they - like me - merely want to drive. http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

A classic example is here below. A great and in-depth work that is worth a pay-for book. BUT designed from the erroneous idea that MOST users want to be able to pull the engine apart and rebuild the gearbox themselves.
    We don't.
    That doesn't detract at all from this good work - it is just that it is not relevant to the other 90% of potential escapees from THAT other one.

Hope that makes it clearer, fellows.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=500020

Beans

It is soooo easy to total a system with a small error in obtuse (non-human analysable) coding, by simple human error.
    I understand your concern, but this is true whether you're dealing with a GUI or a command line. I can't count the times I've clicked a wrong button.

I think you're able to "drive" most of the time except when your "engine" breaks down. When the engine breaks down, you have to take it apart and fix it.
    This statement is false

Beans

Now for my personal experience. While I have only started to use Ubuntu for only a month, after using the command line for some time, I'm loving it more and more. I guess I'm just one of those people that like a good mix of command line interface and GUI, but honestly, I find using command isn't that bad. Plus, you'll learn something more using it. After a while, you'll actually find yourself not actually knowing what you were fearing about... although trusting my words or not is your choice, taken into consideration that everyone experiences different things.

Usually, the only times I find myself having a need to use terminal is to configure something for hardware, which isn't Ubuntu's fault for not being supported by those. I also use the terminal to install softwares, which you can use Synaptic Package Manager instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Imagine telling someone to fire up this app, click this button, switch to this tab, enter the following in the third text box from the top in the first section, and finally click the green button at the bottom that says okay.

Or you tell them, copy and paste this into the terminal and enter your password.

I understand that's an extreme example, but that's one reason the command line is used when helping someone out. It's just easier to tell them to copy and paste something.

Besides, many of the commands give outputs that help us diagnose the problem. Going with your car analogy, it's like the mechanic asking you what types of sounds you hear coming from the engine, or if you could give him the full text from page 37 of the manual. You don't have to know about the engine; you just have to follow a couple of instructions to help the mechanic understand and fix the real problem.

Along these lines, would you rather copy and paste the output of one command, say lspci, or consolidate the output of various lines of text spread out over the course of a list, as in the Hardware Information tool?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by diogenes2 View Post
    No, of course not. Non-techheads don't want to install and configure an operating system. They'll just use whatever came on the computer they bought.

Beans

Well, if you don't wish to use the command line, then Ubuntu is not for you. You should use Mandriva instead. That is the only Linux distribution that really has wizards for everything.

Otherwise, if you are just complaining because you like to vent some frustration, then maybe you should switch to Slackware or OpenBSD - then you'll *really* have reason to vent...

Cheers,

H.

Beans

What are you trying to do with your system? Ubuntu is pretty easy to set up and use without command line ime. I think the last time I installed it, I didn't have to use the terminal for anything, and I was quite amazed at how well everything just worked out of the box. If you want to install software, you can find most things in Synaptic. But I usually use Apt if I know what I want to install, it's often faster and easier than gui.

What is going on with your internet connection? Are you on DHCP? Never had a problem getting on the net, just open the browser and it works. What kind of connection do you have?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast