Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu vs PCLInux OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu vs PCLInux OS

I have Ubuntu installed on my laptop for the longest time and I love Ubuntu. But I couldn't get it to install on my desktop. I don't know the reason, but instead of learning more about Ubuntu, I got curious and thought I'd try a new distro.

To my understanding, PCLinuxOS (Gnome) is a "KDE" in "Ubuntu" clothing?

I'm using it right now and it's not too bad. But then again, I'm not even trying to tweak it to where my laptop is. I'm pretty new to anything Linux and I have lots to learn. But I'm wondering why I couldn't get Ubuntu on this desktop?

Is it something to do with the hard drive, the memory, the video card, ???

I've had lots of people help me on the Ubuntu forums and I'm very thankful for it. I make it my business to share anything I learn here with anyone I know. Especially the ones that are like me... sick and tired of anything to do with MS.

-Leo in Massachusetts
    Last edited by S2UIRR3L; September 15th, 2010 at 04:53 AM.

Beans

Well , I am a recent convert to Ubuntu, via other Linux distros, I will never be anything other than a beginner but I like things that work and also look good. I also install all the offerings from cover disks just to see what's out there, anything as long as it isn't windows, that's not a negative comment necessarily, I am just bored with windows, besides Linux works better for me..
    I noticed that pclinuxOS not only works but it looks good. On comparison, on one important task I wanted to do on the computer, watching the movie "Amadeus" online, pclos seems to outperform ubuntu..

Web pages, on my machine at least are slow on pclos and quick on ubuntu. but the handling of streaming video is better on pclos than ubuntu... for me, that is. We are talking about a desperately slow internet provider into the bargain
    So the handling of memory for the same computer and video card seems to me to be better on PClos,
    without going into technical matters this is a good reason to have another look at the distro..

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by S2UIRR3L View Post
    To my understanding, PCLinuxOS (Gnome) is a "KDE" in "Ubuntu" clothing?
    Not sure what that means!

But, I've only run KDE in PCLOS.

Anyway, I like both Ubuntu and PCLOS, both have been working out very well here. I don't really use Firefox anymore, but I liked how PCLOS updated to Firefox 4 almost right away when FF4 came out, via Synaptic -- no hassling with adding anything like a PPA, Ubuntu-style (not that it's much of a hassle, but still).

I mean, there are pros and cons about any distro, but I can't say that I'd hesitate to recommend PCLOS to anyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12