Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Recover Windows MBR using Ubuntu LIVE CD

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Recover Windows MBR using Ubuntu LIVE CD

Ok, updating my war against "bad sectors", I finally get to recovery console of Win XP, and could type FIXMBR there.

Received the warning message, proceeded and though: "Now I will access my Windows".

Nothing. Now, instead of receiving a "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT" message, I just don't get message at all, the computer just stuck loading. Don't know what else to do.

Tried: 1 - Using the code caljohnsmith provided (apt-get install syslinux and mbr) and 2 - Using Win XP CD recovery (fixmbr and fixboot).

Is there any more ways?

Beans

That kinda sucks. I let my computer on a technical assistance, and they said the HD blow up, even the data.

In other hand, my sister gave me a brand new one of 160 gb.

Best regards all

Beans

Hi, I really hope someone can help me, i'm quite a noob with computers and my windows also does not want to boot anymore. I now run Ubuntu with the Live Cd, and i want to fix the mbr. i've tried the code:

sudo apt-get install syslinux
    sudo dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sda
    But I don't know what to choose instead of 'sda' does anyone know how i can see that?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Scatcat View Post
    Hi, I really hope someone can help me, i'm quite a noob with computers and my windows also does not want to boot anymore. I now run Ubuntu with the Live Cd, and i want to fix the mbr. i've tried the code:

sudo apt-get install syslinux
    sudo dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sda
    But I don't know what to choose instead of 'sda' does anyone know how i can see that?
    How about first posting:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    And when you say that Windows doesn't want to boot any more, what exactly do you mean?

Beans

Well, If I want to boot Windows it says that windows didn't start properly and aks if I want to reboot in normal or safe mode, and some other options. But whatever I do I get the windows loading screen and then it automatically restarts and i get the same choices again.

I tried to restore windows with the windows cd but when I want to use the recovery tool it goes right to the Dos commandscreen,but just a C: prompt (not a C:\WINDOWS prompt). instead of asking me to log in as Admin (as it supposed to do)

So I used the Ubuntu live-Cd to get my files. But I read here that maybe I could get my windows back so that's what i'm trying to do.
    Last edited by Scatcat; November 23rd, 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Beans

To do a "Windows Repair", boot your Windows Install CD and choose the "install Windows" option in the first main menu; do not press "r" to go to the recovery console, because that gives you the command prompt like you got. After selecting the "install Windows" option, after that you will be given the option to do a "Windows repair" rather than install Windows. How about trying that and let me know how it goes.

Beans

If you are getting that far your windows mbr is fine. Do you see a blue screen (as in BSOD) for a second just before it restarts?

If so your computer is set to restart whenever it gets this error which has the unfortunate side effect of you not being able to see the error.

In your breif glimpses of the blue screen look for an error type it will be 0x000000XX (replace XX with your specific 2 digit letter/number combination) and occasionally there is a file name.

Im jumping the gun here a little its not clear that you have a BSOD yet.

Beans

Thanks for helping me out,
    Yes i'm getting a blue screen for a second but i cannot read it since it reboots after a split second.

If I choose the the "install Windows" option on the cd it aks me to choose a partition the install windows and then says it's too full and i have to format it. Before this I see no Windows Repair option. But since i got my files, I could just format the C disk and re-install windows if there is no other option.

Beans

If the C drive is full, can you access your Windows partition OK from your Live CD? If so, you could go in and delete some files to make some space. If you are unsure which is your Windows partition as seen by the Live CD, how about first opening a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and posting:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu

Beans

Thank you!

I deleted some files. and then i was able to restore windows using the windows recover option on the cd

I can boot windows again now! Thank you!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast