View Poll Results: Do you carry aorund live distributions?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 31.58%
  • No

32 33.68%
  • Sometimes, but not usually.

33 34.74%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you carry Linux live distros around with you?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How many of you carry Linux live distros around with you?

Moderators: If you have a chance could you please correct the spelling mistake in the Poll title and then edit this line out? Thanks in advance!

I was just curious as to how many of you have a habit of carrying around a liveCD (or other media) for when using a computer without Linux on it. Please state which ones you have and your reasons.

I carry around a LiveCD of Gutsy to show my friends because it has Compiz and eye-candy is attractive to the average Winblows user. Even better when I show them it'll run on their dad's 5-year-old single-core 1.8GHZ computer with 512MB RAM and integrated graphics (they call that modest hardware).

I also carry around a USB stick (and CD) of Damn Small Linux and a CD of KNOPPIX 5.1.1.

At school I have a KNOPPIX CD and a Puppy CD (for the less powerful computers) in my locker. These are for when I use the library computers/computer lab.

I have many reasons. My main one is how I simply hate Microsoft and most computers are M$-based. Secondly, I prefer having access to certain apps (such as GIMP or Inkscape) when I need to touch something up for school or any reason.

Thirdly, and the biggest reason, is PRIVACY. My school uses a Win/MAC client-server VNC program. By using Linux, they a) can't see my screen remotely b) can't log my passwords and other keystrokes (I always check for hardware loggers too) and c) can't remotely control my computer. It's not just privacy, it's freedom. Also, I can get around the filter and play games. *whistles innocently*

So, what are your favorite distros (and reasons) to carry around?
    Last edited by sajro; November 24th, 2007 at 10:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: How many of you carry Linux live distros around with you?

I gave my cousin a livecd I *just* happened to have in my pocket, he used it at work and found that any machine in his factory could access the internet and any of the company intranet pages!

Several copies were issued on request to employees.

Diesel1.
    Registered GNU/Linux user #140607.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I see a lot of people are voting but not posting. Please tell us what distros you like to use live and your main reasons!

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

sometimes. I can't always.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Generally a knoppix, a helix and a 0phcrack (slax based) liveCD, for forensics and data recovery work
    AMD Athlon 3000 @2.0Ghz / MSI K8T Neo K8T800 / 2 GB Corsair DDR RAM / Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (256MB) / Samsung 226BW @ 1600x1050 / 120GB/320GB PATA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I carry the following Live CDs
    Ubuntu Dapper Drake
    Ubuntu Current
    Damn Small Linux
    Puppy Linux

In addition Ubuntu alternate CD.

kagashe
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have a Damn Small live miniCD in my pocket at all times.

Beans

I carry one to boot Ubuntu at school.

Beans

i used to carry a usb drive with knoppix live on it, i used it at college for a "look what i can do" thing. and to go on sites when they disabled the internet in our class room
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans

On a flash at all times, Knoppix or Slax. Slax is good for this because you can add modules easily, www.slax.org

For my laptop bag, GParted, Super Grub Disk, Ubuntu and others. I have many distros and might carry others if I think I'll have use for them.

I have no specific reason for carrying them, but have used them many times. (The Circuit City people cringe when they see me...)
    Last edited by LaRoza; November 25th, 2007 at 04:05 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast