Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome - Please Read

Beans

Arrow Re: Welcome - Please Read

Quote Originally Posted by mrtsunami View Post
    I would include an obligatory description of my occupation, but alas, I do not have one.
    Yep, you've been active in IRC a while now.

One thing I will say about this above here comment...

I'm not much older than you (I promise)...

HOWEVER, I will promise you this: The quote that you may have heard your parents say: "Enjoy it while you can!" Is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY true. And NEVER should be taken for granted.

I am in my early twenties (I still get carded to buy alcohol...hell, I can BARELY legally BUY alcohol!). Trust me, the years fly by. Enjoy high school and college while they are still with you. Life is but a fleeting shadow...

Such stuff as dreams are made on...

Sincerely,

Craig Huffstetler / xarquid / xq
    Ubuntu U.S., Team South Carolina
    Among other things...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Welcome - Please Read

Hi all, I am Alex, from Greer, SC(between Greenville and Spartanburg).
    I attend Greenville Technical College and I'm hoping to transfer to USC upstate for Computer Science. Good to see an SC group for Ubuntu. I have a lot of experience with windows systems, which comes in handy when it comes to helping everyone else in my family with computer issues, a common occurance. I've been using ubuntu for a few years now off and on, and after getting a helping hand from a friend in Alabama, I learned about repositories and how to find answers to pretty much any question, and I haven't looked back since.

Anyways, I will be around and I'm more than happy to help out, nice to meet y'all!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Gouki View Post
    Hi all, I am Alex, from Greer
    Mad_Gouki Welcome! Sorry we didn't welcome you sooner, please forgive us for the oversight. We are working to get official status, in may and there is much to be done. If you have the time, you are welcome to contribute in any way even with just voicing your opinion on any subject which is always encouraged.

Please see the posts concerning upcoming meetings, and join us on IRC and the forums. Glad to meet you!

Beans

Talking Re: Welcome - Please Read

Hey, I am Shawn from Sumter. I am currently attending Sumter High School, and I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 months. I have 2 computers, one dual booting Ubuntu and XP, and my laptop (which is currently into the repair shop as they need to tighten a pin on the power supply), which is running XP, but I might put Ubuntu on that too.
    -I know how to code C++
    -I have about 3 months experience with Ubuntu
    -Gimp experience
    -I know how to build computers, and next year I am taking a class in A+ Certification for it.
    So, yeah, nice to meet everybody!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by SHiNiNG_SaBeR View Post
    Hey, I am Shawn from Sumter. I am currently attending Sumter High School, and I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 months. I have 2 computers, one dual booting Ubuntu and XP, and my laptop (which is currently into the repair shop as they need to tighten a pin on the power supply), which is running XP, but I might put Ubuntu on that too.
    -I know how to code C++
    -Gimp experience
    -I know how to build computers, and next year I am taking a class in A+ Certification for it.
    Hi Shawn, Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum! Please feel free to browse through the forum to see what all we are involved in. Things are a little slow right now with spring arriving, but we are hoping to get official LoCo status soon so we are busy working on a few things here and there. Get a feel of what is going on by reading the posts in the forum, and jump in with your opinions and ideas. There are a couple of projects we are working on that could use a man of your talents, if you have the time. Again, Welcome to the group!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SHiNiNG_SaBeR View Post
    -I know how to code C++
    -Gimp experience
    Sweet, another Sumter user.

Beans

Hello, Group.

The web page just refreshed while I was writing a post, and I lost ten minutes of writing.

I'll remember to work up my next post in "Text Editor" before starting a "Quick Reply".

My name is Barry Smith.

I just found this forum.

I have been programming and using computers since 1982.
    I started in PC DOS, and TSO MVS, so I'm a big fan of the "mix" that Linux has created... the advantages through GNOME, K, and X, along with the mutiple abilities of the shells.

I've been using different versions of Linux for over four years, infrequently.

I am making the switch from XP Media to Ubuntu 7.10 amd64.
    (Hardy doesn't work on my laptop).

I am hoping that Ubuntu will update their Gutsy repositories soon for OOo 2.4.1 and
    gpg 1.4.9 ... I could build a DEB package for either, but I don't know how to upload a deb candidate, and I don't know who to contact to find out how.

I'm not a big "chatter", as I prefer being able to explain myself in detail.
    I probably won't show up in the IRC meetings, but I'll ask questions on the forum, and I'm available through email.

See you around,

Barry Smith

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Welcome - Please Read

Quote Originally Posted by bnsmith001 View Post
    Hello, Group.

The web page just refreshed while I was writing a post, and I lost ten minutes of writing.

I'll remember to work up my next post in "Text Editor" before starting a "Quick Reply".

My name is Barry Smith.

I just found this forum.

I have been programming and using computers since 1982.
    I started in PC DOS, and TSO MVS, so I'm a big fan of the "mix" that Linux has created... the advantages through GNOME, K, and X, along with the mutiple abilities of the shells.

I've been using different versions of Linux for over four years, infrequently.

I am making the switch from XP Media to Ubuntu 7.10 amd64.
    (Hardy doesn't work on my laptop).

I am hoping that Ubuntu will update their Gutsy repositories soon for OOo 2.4.1 and
    gpg 1.4.9 ... I could build a DEB package for either, but I don't know how to upload a deb candidate, and I don't know who to contact to find out how.

I'm not a big "chatter", as I prefer being able to explain myself in detail.
    I probably won't show up in the IRC meetings, but I'll ask questions on the forum, and I'm available through email.

See you around,

Barry Smith
    Welcome to the Group Barry! I understand not being a big chatter. I am probably one of the most prolific lurkers on the internet, I seldom respond to anything, except in this group.

Actually, the forums are a wonderful place for you to start, we need, and welcome your opinions and ideas. Right now, things are a little slow. We are working on alot of different things right now, and the fair weather has turned some attentions elsewhere understandably.

All we ask is that you participate in some form. The forums are a great place for you, and check out our new (ever changing) wiki It has everything you need to know at this point, and gives you a great place to jump in!

again, Welcome to the group!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Greetings all, I just found my way back to Ubuntu after a long, enjoyable stint with Archlinux. My first Ubuntu distribution was Hoary Hedgehog, and I've been a linux user since. What brought me back to Ubuntu was the simplicity and ease of installation/configuration, as I have found I don't have as much time to manually edit config files, compile from source, etc, as I used to.

Also, the way that Ubuntu seems to have caught fire in popularity, as evidenced by major PC makers offering Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows, has me feeling the itch to be part of the revolution.

I was excited to see we have a SC users group, and I hope to be able to contribute as much as possible. I just signed up to the mailing list and launchpad group, and will try to get on IRC in the near future.

Oh, and a little about me: I'm a married veteran of the Navy, and I am currently studying Computer Engineering at Clemson. I would love to be a developer for Ubuntu one day, but as they say, you've got to crawl before you can walk.

I'm looking forward to meeting everybody, and helping to share the Ubuntu love.

https://launchpad.net/~kern-jeff
    Last edited by K2712; July 31st, 2008 at 07:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey folks,
    I've done a few posts and announced myself in the IRC channel already, but figured I'd chime in here too.

I'm from the Myrtle Beach area (Conway to be specific), and I work in Myrtle Beach as a Unix Administrator for a network security company based out of Atlanta.

I've got a Masters in Network Security from Capitol College in Laurel, MD, as well as a mixture of certifications.

My path to Ubuntu started in '99 when I started using Red Hat 5.2. I stayed with Red Hat through version 8 or 9 when I jumped to Mandrake. From there I went to Debian, and finally to Ubuntu some time around Dapper.

Glad to be here!
    - Dave
    I support my bad habits with the money I save using open source software.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast