Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

Could some one please explain to me what the differences are between Ubuntu and Kubuntu? I don't really understand the Gnome V.S. KDE thing.

So from a users point of view what are the pluses and minus between the two, or does one just have a brown screen while the other is blue? one has the tool bar at the top of the screen the other has it at the bottom.

Currently I am running Feisty with and XP duel boot. ( haven't booted windows in months )

And on a second computer I am running Gutsy. Been thinking about giving Kubuntu a try just to see what it is like and what all it has.

If some one could tell me what to look out for so I will notice the diferances I would really appreciate it.

Sabar
    Sabar ; Very Little Knowledge is a very scary thing!
    Logitech Mx700, Slow Internet Fix, Set up Internet,Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

Try this site for a comparison. Basically just apples and oranges. I prefer Gnome, bit I will say that KDE is a lot more configurable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The beauty of Linux is the choice available. Just try it. Try it virtually, try it live, or spare a partition and do a full blown test.

Reading a comparison will just waste the install time of the above test methods.

Once setup, use it for about two weeks and then YOU can determine what your likes and dislikes are.

Then, do the same for Xubuntu and xfce.

HAVE A BLAST.
    irc - freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    -- Jedi Master Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Well I did go ahead and load Kubuntu into the system. and it does seem ok. defiantly something new to learn, what with all the new names for most things.

Now the bad news seems I messed things up already. I went to a site that had a short movie and it said I had to load some kind of Java script or something, it even came up with the download. so I left it do everything automatically. well the computer frooze up and now after trying to restart it all I get is

First the screen for going to bios then nothing but a courser at the top left of the screen. I can not even type anything in there. Looks like I may be doing a reload.

Well that was the reason I wanted the other computer in the first place. so I could try things and if I nuked the system I wouldnt have to be killed by the wife...............

What the hell.. looks like Kubuntu is now loading. I was just sitting here watch the little courser for the last 5 mins or so. when I started typing this.

Here is something some one may be able to answer. I loaded Ubuntu then I Loaded a downloaded version of Kubuntu why does it automatically go to Kubuntu? doesn't it ever give me a choice of what to run?

Thanks for being helpful to such a noobie
    Sabar
    Sabar ; Very Little Knowledge is a very scary thing!
    Logitech Mx700, Slow Internet Fix, Set up Internet,Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When you come to the log in screen you can click on "sesion" or something like that.
    Some penguins can fly!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You don't even need to reinstall kubuntu to try it from your ubuntu installation.
    From inside Gnome (ubuntu), open Synaptic, search for kubuntu-desktop, and install it.
    Thats it. You're done.
    Log out, click the "sessions" button, and change to KDE. Log in. Now you see kubuntu. Keep it, uninstall it, whatever.
    From the login screen, select your choice from the Sessions menu. And best of all, its teh same OS, different GUI, so all your stuff is still in /home.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anjilslaire View Post
    You don't even need to reinstall kubuntu to try it from your ubuntu installation.
    From inside Gnome (ubuntu), open Synaptic, search for kubuntu-desktop, and install it.
    Thats it. You're done.
    Log out, click the "sessions" button, and change to KDE. Log in. Now you see kubuntu. Keep it, uninstall it, whatever.
    From the login screen, select your choice from the Sessions menu. And best of all, its teh same OS, different GUI, so all your stuff is still in /home.
    REALLY GOOD TIP TO TRY KUBUNTU OUT .....
    My problem is mostly that I love music, Amarok is/--was one of the best player (until the version 1.4). It has now many and reccurent bugs under ubuntu. It drives me nuts and would not be worse to try Kubuntu just for this. But before I wanted to know if I would feel comfy with kubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anjilslaire View Post
    Thats it. You're done.
    Wow I didn't know that it was that easy to load Kubuntu. I'd be downloading the 702mb ISO burning a disk etc etc
    They must be almost exactly the same OS with a slightly different desktop. Thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Necromancer much? It's only been over 1.5 years
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Don't forget that you can use many GNOME apps within KDE and many KDE apps within GNOME. For example, I use K3b within Gnome, but Synaptic within KDE.

And yes, follow advice in the last two posts to switch between the two desktop environments on the same computer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast