Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Wink Re: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_28 View Post
    I'm now on Windows 7, planning to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu. If I'm correct I can install Ubuntu and Kubuntu on 1 partition and then choose which one to log into?
    Yes. Install Ubuntu and then go to Synaptic Packet Manager to install kubuntu-desktop

OR

open a terminal and put this in:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Put in your own login password when asked.

At the login screen you can choose which session to use. GNOME or KDE. Hope this helps you.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans

Re: Ubuntu V.S. Kubuntu

):Yeah, look at latest Ubuntu Natty (poor imitation of MacOS Aqua) and you will run away like rocket.
    Toooooooooooooootal crap!
    I will go back to ******* rather than use that ****!
    Smoke on that Canonical

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Unity is a new beginning for Ubuntu and a step in the right direction for mainstreaming the OS. I am not the biggest fan of Unity, but it works great on my old laptop that was running slow as hell with 10.10. Now I am up to speed and running Gnome3 on my desktop.

Beans

Unity is the deault in 11.04, but for now it is still optional. 11.04 comes with the gnome desktop as an option when you log in as well.

Trying to see if I can have KDE as a third option and will report back on how it worked and what I liked about each of them.

Beans

It is true! Viewing KDE is as simple as running the apt-get command, as Rytron posted.

It will require you to authenticate and will stop twice, once to tell you it will use 340 Meg of hard drive space and again to ask if you want KDE or Gnome as a default desktop.

When it restarted, it temporarily gave me the Kubuntu splash screen, and restarted with a baby blue blank screen instead of the purple one, but after that 11.04 Ubuntu startup was the same.

It adds a KDE ubuntu session in the sessions options on the login screen. Log in and you are using KDE!

Initial impression: KDE is beautiful, or at least the defaults are. Someone much more artistically inclined chose the background wallpaper and matched it up with the "oxygen" window decorations. Of the three, ubuntu gnome (austere) unity (cartoony launchpad) and KDE, KDE is by far the nicest looking out of the box.

Unity - Launchpad and dash will be best suited for touch applications for tablets or mobile devices.

Gnome - Think icons. Easy to change appearance of icons for anything, including custom launchers on the panel. Easy to customise panels and place them where you want. Freely move little icons on your panels.

KDE - only had it for a day, but: Widgets are super easy to apply. Consistency for configuration and resizing of windows and widgets. Config strip appears when you hover over an image and auto hides. Configuration menus are not so intuitive and take a little figuring.

Administrative tool access: Gnome, great. Drop down lists allow you to find admin and preferences fast.
    KDE very good. Menu on the panel with grouped lists.
    Unity- Poor. Dash has selections for Applications that are poorly grouped and lumped together on the dash. Valuable dash space consumed by advertised apps available for download that narrow your field of view so you need to scroll down to look through the list of Apps. (Similar to digging through a really big bag with a really small opening) If the dash was made to allow apps to be seen at a glance, they have failed.
    Unity does have a proper grouped list in a Control Centre, similar to KDE or Mint (gnome) hidden under the shut down options in a choice called System settings.

File management. KDE allows configuration to show only certain file types to simplify views of individual folders. It does not auto-launch executable text files , but gives access to the terminal from a folder, telling the terminal which directory you are in, so you can just type in a single command to run the shell.

Gnome and Unity have a GUI option for running executable text files. Popup asks if you want to run, display or run in terminal. Easier than KDE for those who have no knowledge of terminal commands.
    Last edited by ted_rmt; May 10th, 2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: redundant grammar

Beans

KDE is fast and functional. I was a gnome user before but I may be hooked on KDE.

Thanks for this thread. I thought I would have to install the KDE distro to use it.

Only thing gnome has on KDE that I used was the ability to take panel icons and unlock their position to move them anywhere you want.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anjilslaire View Post
    You don't even need to reinstall kubuntu to try it from your ubuntu installation.
    From inside Gnome (ubuntu), open Synaptic, search for kubuntu-desktop, and install it.
    Thats it. You're done.
    Log out, click the "sessions" button, and change to KDE. Log in. Now you see kubuntu. Keep it, uninstall it, whatever.
    From the login screen, select your choice from the Sessions menu. And best of all, its teh same OS, different GUI, so all your stuff is still in /home.
    Wow I didn't know that it was that easy to load Kubuntu. I'd be downloading the 702mb ISO burning a disk etc etc
    They must be almost exactly the same OS with a slightly different desktop. Thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Necromancer much? It's only been over 1.5 years
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans

I read the whole post and would like to ask something related to this:

Are Ubuntu developers also Kubuntu developers? I mean for Kubuntu is there any other changes except for KDE?

Because in installation I had a problem. It did not see my windows 7 system and had to use WUBI to install...

The second problem was the brightness keys. It simply did not change the brightness, but on Ubuntu it did. I needed to play with the conf file to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sabar View Post
    Could some one please explain to me what the differences are between Ubuntu and Kubuntu? I don't really understand the Gnome V.S. KDE thing.

So from a users point of view what are the pluses and minus between the two, or does one just have a brown screen while the other is blue? one has the tool bar at the top of the screen the other has it at the bottom.

Currently I am running Feisty with and XP duel boot. ( haven't booted windows in months )

And on a second computer I am running Gutsy. Been thinking about giving Kubuntu a try just to see what it is like and what all it has.

If some one could tell me what to look out for so I will notice the diferances I would really appreciate it.

Sabar
    side thing i've found out which is pretty stupid i had to go into settings and manualy make sure through there that num lock comes on when the pc does ubuntu i didn't have to. but positive side is the widgets for ku or really nice just which was better choices of them other wise if i knew how to get them on ubuntu really simply i'd possibly consider going back to ubuntu that and if the idiots told you folder browser is nataulis i didn't spell it right and you have to search the market for stuff to add to the browser dolphin you don't have to at all do that just can add more stuff to it through the program it self

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast