Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medes: New project for running Google Maps, etc as desktop applications

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Medes: New project for running Google Maps, etc as desktop applications

I've just released Medes 0.0.4 - trying to keep the releases frequent

I've added a status bar with page load progress indicator (optional to the website configuration).

I've also had to drop the Google Docs application, it was having some difficulties with Medes because of some weird session handling it's trying to do. I'll reinstate it once I've fixed the problem, but for now I've added 2 new examples to replace it:

• G-Mail
    • Ubuntu Community Documentation (Wiki)

This will probably be the last release provided in this way. My next plan is to split up the websites from the Medes "core" package, and start providing a package per website over a repository. This way people can choose to install only Web applications that they actually use.

As always, the new release can be downloaded at http://www.seanhodges.co.uk/~sean/medes/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm interested. Just curious how is this different from Prism? I use Prism in Windows and love it. Is this essentially a clone, or are there key differences? Either way I'm interested.
    In Soviet Russia, cake lies you!
    My Blog | Email Me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Keep up the Good Work!

I am now using Medes along with the Freewins plugin for Compiz with it sitting next to my browser. This allows quick access (focus) and a quick glance to see what is playing or has played without clicking on it (or a tab for that matter). however, interaction with Medes is a little difficult using freewins because the interface gets put out of sync with what you see in any given window. hopefully, that will be addressed with later versions of Freewins if possible.

just a suggestion, but maybe there's room for a myspace Medes? (no luaghing)

Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    People get to know computers when they have to. And you're going to have to do a little legwork for Ubuntu. You'll have lots of help, though, and if you approach it with the right attitude, you might actually learn something.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Nekiruhs View Post
    I'm interested. Just curious how is this different from Prism? I use Prism in Windows and love it. Is this essentially a clone, or are there key differences? Either way I'm interested.
    I was hoping to write an article on the differences between Medes and Prism/Silverlight/Air from both an end-user and technical POV. I've been really busy recently with the Christmas holiday looming, but I will get around to it promise!

Brindled, that Freewins plugin looks really neat, I'll be sure to check it out myself in the near future MySpace is one of the next planned websites to be added, though I want to sort out the packaging before I add any more (which will probably be this weekend).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12