Thread: Starcraft battle.net via wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Starcraft battle.net via wine

I know there are alot of posts on this subject, but I've read them all and I can't seem to get battle.net working with SC (even though I previously had)

The scenario thusfar -

I used to have feisty and SC worked beautifully through wine on it. I could use battle.net and everything. I upgraded to gutsy, and so far, everything is better (hardware compatibility, the general layout of the menus, and desktop effects )

BUT

starcraft doesn't want to play nice on battle.net any more. I've tried using winetools to install the MS core fonts, but the newest edition of winetools won't work and the older editions won't let me install "DCOM98" or the arial true type font which seems to rely on this?

anyway... I'm not putting down wine or anything, I just had a starcraft marathon where I completed all of the original campaigns (working on broodwar ones now) but I'd really love to play online. The only thing that's changed from it working and not working seems to be my ubuntu edition (although it may be a wine problem, I didn't check to see if it was a different version than what I had before)
    The box said that I needed to have Windows 98 or better... so I installed Linux
    Need help with shell commands? click
    Need MORE help with shell commands? advanced click

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Starcraft battle.net via wine

I remember doing something with the registry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

From what I've read, it's not possible with the current version of Wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

'fair enough.

next question - how do I downgrade to the previous version? (i.e, uninstall via synaptic and then what?)