Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video scrambled when using mplayer/Xine/VLC

Beans

Re: Video scrambled when using mplayer/Xine/VLC

Quote Originally Posted by axelsvag View Post
    I have the same problem. I have tried to sort the problem out but have not succeded. Many seems to have the same illness in the system. Some people mean that it is caused but bad nvidia software. And it does not seems to be solved the the new beta nvidia. I have seen that some believe that the problem get solved if you downgrade the nvidia driver and yet some don´t think it will work. I use a different but awkvard method. I have to shut down the frontend and log out and log in from the desktop. Then the mythtv interface is back. After that you have to shut the frontend down without starting any mythtv application. After that at least I can play files from the desktop interface without any scrambling. But.... when you start the frontend again the picture in mythtv will have the same scrambling so you have to log off and log on the desktop again to be able to make the mythtv to work. I hope somebody soon will find the bug that causing this problem.

I hope so too.

One thing, it is interesting that myth itself uses mplayer to play it's video's - and that works. I notice it explicitly calls xv as the output (-vo xv) and I haven't tried that from the desktop yet. It's a big election night here, so I might wait until tomorrow before I play around with myth

Beans

I have the same problem as well. I can generalise it even further: if you play any kind of video in myth frontend whether television or other, then exit myth frontend and try play any video with mplayer, vlc or xine, this will not work and you get a green or pink scrambled screen. If you then open up myth frontend again and try to play any video, this will not work any more either.
    If you play any video right after boot-up with mplayer, vlc or xine, this will work perfectly. When you then open up myth frontend no video will work. When you then close myth frontend again and try playing any video using mplayer, vlc or xine this will not work either any more.
    It would appear that myth frontend video or tv and video or tv throught the other three players are mutually exclusive no matter what the format of the video is.

I'm not sure how relevant this is but I mention it anyway for reasons of completeness, I also run a dvb-t card.

So, this may be some malfunctioning nvidia proprietry driver? Is there anybody who can be more definite about this? Or give me a clue as to how to remedy this or what kind of information is required?

cheers,
    J0ris

Edit: I suppose there is some shared resource that myth frontend doesn't like sharing?
    Last edited by J0ris; November 24th, 2007 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by J0ris View Post
    I have the same problem as well. I can generalise it even further: if you play any kind of video in myth frontend whether television or other, then exit myth frontend and try play any video with mplayer, vlc or xine, this will not work and you get a green or pink scrambled screen. If you then open up myth frontend again and try to play any video, this will not work any more either.
    If you play any video right after boot-up with mplayer, vlc or xine, this will work perfectly. When you then open up myth frontend no video will work. When you then close myth frontend again and try playing any video using mplayer, vlc or xine this will not work either any more.
    It would appear that myth frontend video or tv and video or tv throught the other three players are mutually exclusive no matter what the format of the video is.

I'm not sure how relevant this is but I mention it anyway for reasons of completeness, I also run a dvb-t card.

So, this may be some malfunctioning nvidia proprietry driver? Is there anybody who can be more definite about this? Or give me a clue as to how to remedy this or what kind of information is required?

cheers,
    J0ris

Edit: I suppose there is some shared resource that myth frontend doesn't like sharing?
    Several other threads have been started concerning this same problem as well as the solution also solves another lockup problem. See the following threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=572057

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587905

I had the same problem JOris and upgraded the Nvidia driver to ver 169.04. Download it here:

i386: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_169.04.html
    x64 : http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_169.04.html

I then followed these instructions:

Debian GNU/Linux or [K]Ubuntu with Xorg 7.x

If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
    * the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
    * the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
    * the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist

If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"

Additionally, delete the following file if it exists:

/lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed

Then I did these steps:

Ctrl-Alt-F1
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.04-pkg2.run
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

SInce updating the driver I haven't had any video issues or lockups.
    Thanks

Beans

Thanks very much for that info.

I noted also, from one of those threads, that nVidia have acknowledged the bug and intend to fix it. I hope it's in the next release.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by williammanda View Post
    Several other threads have been started concerning this same problem as well as the solution also solves another lockup problem. See the following threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=572057

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587905

I had the same problem JOris and upgraded the Nvidia driver to ver 169.04. Download it here:

i386: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_169.04.html
    x64 : http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_169.04.html

I then followed these instructions:

Debian GNU/Linux or [K]Ubuntu with Xorg 7.x

If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
    * the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
    * the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
    * the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist

If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"

Additionally, delete the following file if it exists:

/lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed

Then I did these steps:

Ctrl-Alt-F1
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.04-pkg2.run
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

SInce updating the driver I haven't had any video issues or lockups.
    Thanks

Sounds like you have found the solution. Before I start to follow your instructions I would like to ask you a few newbie questions first
    1. About the linux headers which package should be installed to check that it meets the kernel?
    2. What does the purge command mean? Or is it impossible to use synaptic to uninstall?

Beans

I had the same problem, and was able to get it working after uninstalling the nvidia driver, rebooting, reinstalling it, and rebooting once more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had simular problems and found that enableing the -V xxmc for NVIDIA fixed me.

Code:
    xine -pfhq -D -V xxmc --no-splash dvd:/%s
    may want to check out my findings on forum link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=639186

Hope this helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12