Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General note for forum users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: General note for forum users

Moved to " Forum Feedback & Help".

The use of some abbreviations, such as LOL, or even smilies, give clues to emotions in absence of body language and eye contact. To many of them kills the message, I agree, but I do appreciate the moderate use of them.

English is not the first language of many users around here.
    We (I am not a native English speaker) will make grammar and spelling errors. Browser-based spell checks are a blessing, but of limited help when it comes to grammar
    The use of obscure abbreviations can also prevent understanding a post.

Searches engines will not find a thread full of misspelled words, whether intentionally or not, and make it quite useless on a help forum.

All in all, making a point clear, an explanation helpful, is not only a matter of proper spelling or not using smilies, imho, hum.., in my humble opinion.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    English is not the first language of many users around here. We (I am not a native English speaker) will make grammar and spelling errors.
    Spelling and grammar errors are also common among native english speakers

And regarding the plural of "forum". In latin would be "fora" and not "forae".

Beans

This isn't about spelling and grammar errors, or to which extent we should care about them. It's about deliberately using three-letter abbreviations and the like to the point of making posts hard or impossible to read and understand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This isn't about spelling and grammar errors, or to which extent we should care about them. It's about deliberately using three-letter abbreviations and the like to the point of making posts hard or impossible to read and understand.
    Exactly. I understand that spelling and grammar mistakes occur. I'm not trying to put down people who can't write perfectly (I fall in that category too). I am just trying to say that the forums would be more helpful to more people if they were written in plain English.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not see the problem with it, it is not hard at all to read a few abbreviations that some users write. If you can't read the post, do not reply to it, let someone else reply. Every post on these forums eventually gets answered by someone whether there is bad spelling or not. It is just nit-picking. It is more annoying reading a reply by someone complaining about something so petty, than the original poster with a problem who is using a few abbreviated words.
    Sick of cd'ing to a folder? sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal Log out then back in. Right click in the folder, select Open in terminal
    Need to compile something? sudo apt-get install build-essential

Beans

As has been said, a few abbreviated words is OK. But a whole post littered with smilies, obscure abbreviated words and not divided into paragraphs, for example, makes things difficult.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    As has been said, a few abbreviated words is OK. But a whole post littered with smilies, obscure abbreviated words and not divided into paragraphs, for example, makes things difficult.
    But the thing the OP was complaining about was abbreviated words, particularly 3 letters. He never mentioned smilies or paragraphs.
    Sick of cd'ing to a folder? sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal Log out then back in. Right click in the folder, select Open in terminal
    Need to compile something? sudo apt-get install build-essential

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paul820
    But the thing the OP was complaining about was abbreviated words, particularly 3 letters. He never mentioned smilies or paragraphs.
    I'm making a slightly different point, and gave an example. I don't have to agree with the OP 100% to support their overall sentiment.

dismal_denizen, would you agree with me and others that a few abbreviated words per post that don't totally ruin it and don't make understanding things too difficult should be acceptable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Paul820 View Post
    IIRC, SMS-type abrevs r discouraged by the CoC. FWIW, I +1 on that policy, cuz it can confuse people, esp if their native lang isn't English.

Sorry.

Honestly, I do think these things should be avoided. When you're asking for or offering technical support, it's important to be as clear as you possibly can be. While I know what all of the common abbreviations mean, I find that their use seems to go hand in hand with a . . . we'll call it "less verbose" approach to asking and answering support questions. /2cents
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Honestly, I do think these things should be avoided. When you're asking for or offering technical support, it's important to be as clear as you possibly can be. While I know what all of the common abbreviations mean, I find that their use seems to go hand in hand with a . . . we'll call it "less verbose" approach to asking and answering support questions. /2cents
    In responding to technical issues, I always try to be as clear as possible. I use standard english words, and keep non technical abbreviations out of the post.

I once saw the statement "UAC is a PITA". A poster said he didn't understand the two technical acronyms, and thought something important was there.

In the Cafe, or when having a conversation with someone you know can understand, adapt the language to suit your audience.

Some abbreviations, the ones that show emotion, are usually understood. One essential abbreviation is OP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast