Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General note for forum users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: General note for forum users

Quote Originally Posted by jordanmthomas View Post
    Basically, reading something like this document should be a prerequesite to posting on the forums.
    Unfortunately, I have too much time on my hands and managed to skim through the link you gave in your thread. I appreciate its suggestions of courtesy and writing questions in a logical order but I think you and the creator of this thread are approaching people with a closed mind.

Bare in mind that many people are not as technically able as others and so therefore cannot describe their problems with all the jargon associated with Linux. Even if they are, it doesn't make their problems any less valid because of the words they use.

This isn't an exclusive club you know. It's the most liberal medium ever conceived and doesn't need people to be nit-picking at spelling.

How dare you try to suggest that these people aren't as worthy just because of their spelling. How dare you try to adapt some form of elitist stance.

It doesn't matter anyway. The rest of the more rational members will use the intelligence that they have to take the message and to respond accordingly. They're not writing in indecipherable languages you know. There's no need for you to be so obstinate.

You seem like educated people. Maybe you should use that intelligence for common sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: General note for forum users

Quote Originally Posted by TWO View Post
    I'm pretty certain that you have been using the internet for long enough to be fully capable of understanding what those abbreviations mean. I also believe that it is beyond your remit to be suggesting how the thousands of users of these forums should write.

I find this thread rather unnecessary and if you are incapable of seeing past the presented language to perform the simple function of helping somebody, then maybe you shouldn't be offering to help people, regardless of your level of expertise.

This forum is neither a grammar nor spelling class.

So long as people are speaking to each other with respect, and so long as the community spirit is maintained and open source OSes- sorry, "Operating System", if you can't comprehend the aforesaid abbreviation- like this continue to progress by means of community interaction, then who really cares about how people write??

These deviations of spelling aren't going to be carried over into the Operating System proper or into the programming behind it so I suggest you stop concerning yourself about how people write, and continue helping others without prejudice.
    +1
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unfortunately, I have too much time on my hands and managed to skim through the link you gave in your thread. I appreciate its suggestions of courtesy and writing questions in a logical order but I think you and the creator of this thread are approaching people with a closed mind.

Bare in mind that many people are not as technically able as others and so therefore cannot describe their problems with all the jargon associated with Linux. Even if they are, it doesn't make their problems any less valid because of the words they use.

This isn't an exclusive club you know. It's the most liberal medium ever conceived and doesn't need people to be nit-picking at spelling.

How dare you try to suggest that these people aren't as worthy just because of their spelling. How dare you try to adapt some form of elitist stance.

It doesn't matter anyway. The rest of the more rational members will use the intelligence that they have to take the message and to respond accordingly. They're not writing in indecipherable languages you know. There's no need for you to be so obstinate.

You seem like educated people. Maybe you should use that intelligence for common sense.

Hear Hear.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

I thought ubuntu forums were for questions related to ubuntu and technical assistance. Helping each other out etc.
    Not for grammer correction.
    Not unless ubuntu is moving away from computers and going towards grammer classes.
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm pretty certain that you have been using the internet for long enough to be fully capable of understanding what those abbreviations mean. I also believe that it is beyond your remit to be suggesting how the thousands of users of these forums should write.

I find this thread rather unnecessary and if you are incapable of seeing past the presented language to perform the simple function of helping somebody, then maybe you shouldn't be offering to help people, regardless of your level of expertise.

This forum is neither a grammar nor spelling class.

So long as people are speaking to each other with respect, and so long as the community spirit is maintained and open source OSes- sorry, "Operating System", if you can't comprehend the aforesaid abbreviation- like this continue to progress by means of community interaction, then who really cares about how people write??

These deviations of spelling aren't going to be carried over into the Operating System proper or into the programming behind it so I suggest you stop concerning yourself about how people write, and continue helping others without prejudice.
    couldn't......sorry.....COULD NOT of said it better myself

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Circus-Killer View Post

This has been a fun post to read! Glad I have been reading the forum for a long time, (just not signed up). I would think that you all fight all the time, after reading this post.

TWO said it the best!!

Kyle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Circus-Killer View Post
    Please..Could not HAVE said it better myself.

While I agree that this isn't a grammar test, the language described is mean't for things like cell-phone texting, where the keypad is limited, and the language is therefore justified.

I have to say that I agree that I get annoyed by the "abbreviated" language that's seaped into internet forums (forae?) of all kinds.

I'm not the grammar police, or I would nit-pick 90% of messages posted in thes forums. I'm also not perfect. I don't mind typos, but please make an effort to type the full word. Most "abbreviations" are unneccessary anyway.
    Linux Registered User #401979
    Ubuntu Registered User #14181

Minds are like parachutes, dangerous if kept closed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by mdsmedia View Post
    Please..Could not HAVE said it better myself.

While I agree that this isn't a grammar test, the language described is mean't for things like cell-phone texting, where the keypad is limited, and the language is therefore justified.
    i dont know about you guys but i was using all these WAY before sms was even invented....i remember maybe 14 years ago on AOL learning the cool LOL, BRB and stuff...

TWO!!!

Great writing....you should be a writer!! i think most of us agree you passed this "Gerneral note for forum users Language Class" with the best of marks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

oh and i think that when talking about computers there are already so many abbriviations that a few more wont hurt...how many times do you see someone write "hard disk" instead of HD or wait....ACPI....what does that stand for?

oh and we need to make this say Laughing out loud>>>>

sorry this post is fun....and very funny!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will just quote the ubuntuforums code od conduct, it says it quite well :
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Of Conduct
    # Please strive to communicate with other users as effectively as possible:

* Please try to write your posts in English unless you are participating in a Loco Forum, where you are permitted to use another language if it is in common use in that Loco Forum and understood by the Loco Forum staff. We have many users from many different countries that visit here and English is the common language of these forums.
    * When writing a post, please space paragraphs with a blank line in between them for better readability.
    * Please do not write posts in all uppercase letters, as it looks as if you are screaming at the people reading your post.
    * Please refrain from using "leet" speak or slang.
    * Please do not shorten your words to acronyms or abbreviations. It is very difficult to read and understand.
    * Please use color and font properties for highlighting portions of your text, and not for all of the text in your post.
    * Typos and other errors can cause miscommunication between users on the forums, please preview your text before posting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast