Thread: [SOLVED] Nvidia and glx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

[SOLVED] Nvidia and glx

Hi all.

I just upgraded my mythtv box with an nvidia geforce 6200 instead of an old ATI.

My problem is that any opengl call makes X crashes. Like opening MythTV or just calling glxinfo.

I searched around and I think I have found the problem but I don't know how to solve it yet.

In Xorg.0.log, I have these lines:
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.

Up in the same log, I see those lines:
    (II) LoadModule: "glx"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
    (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

So I think that the glx module loaded should be the one that ship with the nvidia driver and that's what causes the problem.

When I installed the card, I think I installed nvidia-glx manually with apt-get. After that, I uninstalled all that (including restrited module packages), logged in in safe X mode, fired up restricted driver manager which installed nvidia-glx-new and a couple of other packages.

Somewhat, it looks like something is still not right. Running the following command:
    ls -l /usr/lib/xorg/modules/
    yields that libglx is a link to:
    libglx.so -> libglx.so.100.14.19 (which looks nvidia to me...)

So, could anyone
    1. confirm that on their Xorg log file, the glx module loading is the nvidia one
    2. Explain how I would make that module load

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Nvidia and glx

Hi. I've fixed this by installing manually the driver, downloaded from nvidia.

Not really a nice solution if you ask me, since I had to install gcc, linux headers, libc headers and so on. I imagine any linux newbie would not have gone that way...

But I just figured out that in my last post, I had the path for the glx extension, which is in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/ instead of /usr/lib/xorg/modules (where I was looking...). Now, the libglx in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/ is a link to the nvidia glx module instead of a plain X module.

Could probably have done the link there myself if I had been more clerver!

Thanks