Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Not frequently, but we just had an attack two hours ago. That new (or old) poster has been banned and the posts have been jailed.
    I didn't realize there'd been more.

In any case, it's an old prank, and the chuckleheads will always come back with it, so my note is now permanent. Plus, I'm generally in favor of encouraging people to understand the commands they're given.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ooops, i took mine off as i thought it was over. I have now put it back on and will leave it there.
    Sick of cd'ing to a folder? sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal Log out then back in. Right click in the folder, select Open in terminal
    Need to compile something? sudo apt-get install build-essential

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jflaker View Post
    Can't the offenders be reported to their ISP as it seems that banning is only temporary until they get a new IP assigned.
    They are most likely using proxies, so they have a nearly inexhaustible number of IP addresses, and they're not going to be traceable to the real ISP.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by santiagoward2000 View Post
    Hi!
    I was just thinking: Isn't there any way to filter all messages containing these commands, so a moderator can read them before they are posted?
    Seems like an excessive burden on the mods, particularly considering that rm -options is such a useful command....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ok, I am seriously not trying to play devils advocate here, but I think that making the rm command this taboo thing in bold saying never sudo rm -rf anything is counterproductive. Rather, why don't you promote man pages. Like.. for ANY command you see on ANY internet site, check the man pages BEFORE you execute it.

rm is only dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Don't scare absolute beginners with rm -rf. Teach them how to use rm safely!
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The moderators are talking about what to do.

When possible, we do an IP ban, but if it's a dynamic IP and by proxy, it's a bit harder to do it that way.

Also, we figure there are ways to give users other malicious commands if we put a language filter on sudo rm -rf /.

Right now, user education appears to be the best way to go.

Thank you all for participating.

nikoPSK is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I fell victim to it... and was told it was a compiz update.

nikoPSK is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    The moderators are talking about what to do.

When possible, we do an IP ban, but if it's a dynamic IP and by proxy, it's a bit harder to do it that way.

Also, we figure there are ways to give users other malicious commands if we put a language filter on sudo rm -rf /.

Right now, user education appears to be the best way to go.

Thank you all for participating.
    can't people just change ip? i mean it's that simple.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    Ok, I am seriously not trying to play devils advocate here, but I think that making the rm command this taboo thing in bold saying never sudo rm -rf anything is counterproductive. Rather, why don't you promote man pages. Like.. for ANY command you see on ANY internet site, check the man pages BEFORE you execute it.

rm is only dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Don't scare absolute beginners with rm -rf. Teach them how to use rm safely!
    No, that's a good point, but at least the simple warning can lead to a conversation that educates.

For example...

A: I can't delete this item from my trash can
    B: Try pasting this command in the terminal: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
    A: But your signature says never to sudo rm -rf anything...?
    B: That's because we have had some malicious trolls asking new users to delete their entire hard drives. sudo rm -rf means to remove with administrative privileges recursively and with force. In this case, we are doing so only for your trash (not the entire installation)
    C: What user B is saying is true. You may also want to read the manual for rm to get a better idea of how it's used: man rm
    A: Okay. Now I get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    My note partially reflects what you're saying, but I don't agree with the above at all. "rm -rf" is also dangerous if you know exactly what you're doing, but happen to insert a space after a slash . . . no ignorance required for the same effect.

Anyway, I can't recall a situation in which a beginner's problem required "rm" as a solution. If you have a config file that needs to be removed, it's usually better to say:
    Code:
    sudo mv config.conf config.conf.bak
    Just one example.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast