Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Or better yet:
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    or
    Code:
    kdesu dolphin
    OK, I'm a new Linux user, an old timer with Windows. I learned years ago about being careful with: RUN: regedit - and do this: "anything". I had to "recover" Windows and install a couple of programs. Never again did I run something "blindly", even when told to do so from friends.

So, saying that:

I searched for gksudo in the man page link mentioned here: nothing.

Can someone explain what "sudo nautilus" does?

Let me take an "educated guess" ...

sudo will run nautilus as "root" - very powerful

What is the difference with "gksudo nautilus"?

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Sounds like the Vista boys are acting out of desperations

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post
    OK, I'm a new Linux user, an old timer with Windows. I learned years ago about being careful with: RUN: regedit - and do this: "anything". I had to "recover" Windows and install a couple of programs. Never again did I run something "blindly", even when told to do so from friends.

So, saying that:

I searched for gksudo in the man page link mentioned here: nothing.

Can someone explain what "sudo nautilus" does?

Let me take an "educated guess" ...

sudo will run nautilus as "root" - very powerful

What is the difference with "gksudo nautilus"?
    Read this:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have to admit, this is really the thing I love about Ubuntu. The community is willing to band together to stop people from spreading malicious commands, rather then just sitting back and laughing a tthe end result.. In all my years of using linux, I can't tell you the number of times i have seen RTFM, or rm -f in other forums. Great job guys!
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, without community, a project like a Linux distrobution can't last long. Protecting the community helps even more.
    Desktop: Custom - AMD Athlon X4 Quadcore 4.02GHz, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 500GB HDD, Win7 x64/Ubuntu 14.04 x64
    Laptop: Thinkpad T61 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 4GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, Win7 x86/Ubuntu 14.04 x86

Beans

I'm in! My sig was getting stagnant anyway.
    Knowledge exists to be imparted.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm in too,

Just a suggestion, maybe someone has already said this, I haven't read every post, but would it be better to give people graphical ways of doing things rather than commands.

• If you navigate to root in Nautilus it is probably more evident that / is the root folder containing everything
    • Also it is a little slower, allowing people more time to grasp what they are doing
    • Thirdly, a graphical interface is designed to provide a means of comprehending the manipulations you are making therefore it might be better to use it
    • Fourth you must have root privileges to delete files or folders in the root directory and this must be given it is not automatic. I would suggest using the right click and "open as Administrator" because this then tells people that they are accessing a restricted file/folder

I know commands are much quicker and easier to put in but maybe graphical is safer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by akiratheoni View Post
    But why not have a Welcome PM to new users telling them basic info about the forum, like the best way to get support on here, and of course not to execute commands with sudo rm -rf * in it?
    That is a really good idea. We all get a welcome message when we sign up, so it would be worth putting something in there about how to get the best from the forums.
    Be very wary of any command with sudo in it. Read this for more information and check this to make sure you do know what you're doing.

Random acts of bloggery | Twitter | Identi.ca

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not trying to derail the thread or anything... but it is also good advice to just always know exactly what it is you are doing whenever you use the sudo command or do anything as root.

Even if it's a trusted source on the forum here telling you how to get something working if the instructions tell you to run a command or edit some file as root make sure you know what you are doing. It might not be a malicious instruction but you always run the risk of hurting your system whenever you use sudo.

There have been MANY times when trying to follow instructions on the forum to how to get desktop effects working that I have trashed my installation and had to start from scratch. The instructions weren't incorrect, I may have done something wrong or misread an instruction, but still by using sudo and not knowing what I was doing I broke my system.
    Last edited by Luggy; November 22nd, 2007 at 01:20 AM.

Beans

Not that this campaign isn't worthwhile, but why is Ubuntu using such an old version of core-utils? Protection against removing the root directory has been available for over a year (since version 6.2).

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast