Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Join the fight against malicious commands given to new users

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    i think this is a good idea. consequently, i've stolen NineSeveN's signature and changed it slightly, so credit to him/her.
    Damn, I almost like yours better.
    NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does. Make sure you know what it is that you're telling your system to do before doing it; some commands can be very harmful to your system or leave you vulnerable to attack.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    I lol'd at the knives thing (got a funny visual from that one), but I understand your point, and it makes sense. I guess if we can at least agree that some form of warning about new users and code is a good idea, we're all running from the same playbook, even if we're on slightly different pages.

I'm one of those new users we're talking about, having only installed Ubuntu 7.10 last Friday...I would have had no clue what the code being posted did, but I always look for other responses to any code or fix posted to see what kind of success others have had. Failing that, I search Google for the code to see if I can find what it does. BUT, I can see a new user getting so frustrated with some of the issues they face that they skip the verification step and just paste the code into the terminal, thereby hosing their system and possibly giving up on *nix totally out of anger/frustration. While I agree that they should be smart about things and use the “verify, then trust” motto, sometimes people don’t do that and I’d hate to see someone have their stuff ruined and abandon the whole idea.
    First, Welcome aboard!!

And yes, I agree we are simply talking about different methods of addressing the same point. What I hope for is that more and more newcomers to linux take the same approach as you in regards to research. And sure, we've all been at that frustrated point where we might hastily do something without thinking ahead. I do this a lot when I am late leaving for work and don't always buckle my seat belt! But the point is, I know better, and it certainly is not a common practice. God forbid if something goes bad, I'll know why I'm in the predicament I'm in.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    I can see where you are coming from. I just remember similar things happening in BBS's and newsgroups during the early days of the windows registry. Its extremely powerful, if you take the time to know what you are doing and keep a general principle that anything you do to your computer will have an effect, desired or undesired. Awareness will determine which one will take place.

I've modified my signature with a link to linux online MAN pages in support of overall awareness of CLI commands.
    That link is a keeper. Thanks a bunch!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm with ye on this one! Have to admit the post has opened my eyes and I consider myself to be 'reasonably competent' (even if I do say so myself)!
    Please check any commands that you have been told to run; they may be dangerous!
    Stuck? – Your problem may have already been solved! Try the search utility in the top right corner… | The 'one post' thread.
    안아주세요!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I think its a good idea to teach people to avoid the use of sudo rm -Rf completely, even an expert user can delete stuff they doen't want with it. A few weeks ago a friend of mine was trying to sudo rm -Rf /home/warbird/download/ (warbird was a different user) but when he typed rm-Rf /home he accidently hit return instead of / and started to delete home whole home directory. By the time he hit ctrl-c he had already lost many of his own files.

So I think it's better to teach new users to sudo nautilus ( or sudo dolphin if they use KDE) and and delete files thru the gui

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClicker View Post
    So I think it's better to teach new users to sudo nautilus ( or sudo dolphin if they use KDE) and and delete files thru the gui
    Or better yet:
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    or
    Code:
    kdesu dolphin
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleClicker View Post
    I think its a good idea to teach people to avoid the use of sudo rm -Rf completely, even an expert user can delete stuff they doen't want with it. A few weeks ago a friend of mine was trying to sudo rm -Rf /home/warbird/download/ (warbird was a different user) but when he typed rm-Rf /home he accidently hit return instead of / and started to delete home whole home directory. By the time he hit ctrl-c he had already lost many of his own files.

So... when your friend typed sudo rm -rf /home/warbird/download Were his files instantly gone, or did sudo stop him, and prompt him to confirm his actions by entering his system password? This step is there for more than one reason An operating system can sometimes only be as efficient as the one using it. I'm not saying that to be sarcastic or mean, and I hope this isn't being taken as overly critical, but I'd say he had two chances: 1) before he hit enter, and 2) when he typed his password.

and typing your password in a gui as opposed to a CLI is not really going to save you the step of double-checking yourself.

That sucks that your friend lost so much data, but I'm sure now that he identified what he did and will likely be more careful in the future. Sometimes it takes losing some data to put what you are doing into perspective. I hope this thread and all the autosignatures cut down on that actually happening. I've lost data a few times myself when I didn't intend to, but not without the gain of some education regarding what I did in the process.
    Last edited by toupeiro; November 21st, 2007 at 09:26 PM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by toupeiro View Post
    So... when your friend typed sudo rm -rf /home/warbird/download Were his files instantly gone, or did sudo stop him, and prompt him to confirm his actions by entering his system password?
    He probably didn't use sudo, given that you don't need root privileges to delete your own home directory.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm not a Linux expert, and often count on advice from people on here and other forums. Maybe I'm naive but it just didn't occur to me that there might be a sad minority that would give out malicious advice.

I've updated my signature.
    READ THIS Don't run any commands without understanding what they do, unless they are from a reliable source and have been confirmed by other experts. Serious damage can result from following malicious "advice".

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    This is a great practice. I will try working it into the Forum Guidelines. (yes I'm still in a utopian state where I believe people read that document. Don't burst my bubble )

Oopps! I meant to say: Not only did I read it, I downloaded it, and signed it.

Some people in "learning mode" actually do read things.

Well, OK! I do!

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast