View Poll Results: Would you like a "wizard" version of KernelCheck?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

Beans

Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

I'm having trouble getting KernelCheck to run for me on Kubuntu 10.04.

If I try the straight dev method listed on top it all goes fine until I try to run
    Code:
    sudo kernelcheck
    At which point I get back

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/bin/kernelcheck", line 9, in <module>
        import os, gtk, sys, getopt, shutil
    ImportError: No module named gtk
    As far as I can tell, gtk is installed already.

And when I try using the .deb from stevenpusser I get

Code:
    Error: Cannot install 'python-glade2'
    From Package Installer.

So I try to find python-glade2 which says it requires python-gtk2 which says it needs python2.5-gobject.

Attempts to install meet with

Code:
    Package python2.5-gobject is a virtual package provided by:
    You should explicitly select one to install.
    E: Package python2.5-gobject has no installation candidate
    So I do some digging around and find out that this is already depreciated and I have the newest version already. So I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

The overarching reason for all of this is my laptop doesn't realize when it's plugged in and others with the same make and model have fixed the problem by compiling their own kernel with certain parts as modules. So if anyone can either help me get KernelCheck working or get my laptop to realize it's plugged in it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LostSpoon View Post
    I'm having trouble getting KernelCheck to run for me on Kubuntu 10.04.

If I try the straight dev method listed on top it all goes fine until I try to run
    Code:
    sudo kernelcheck
    At which point I get back

Code:
      File "/usr/local/bin/kernelcheck", line 9, in <module>
        import os, gtk, sys, getopt, shutil
    ImportError: No module named gtk
    As far as I can tell, gtk is installed already.

And when I try using the .deb from stevenpusser I get

Code:
    Error: Cannot install 'python-glade2'
    From Package Installer.

So I try to find python-glade2 which says it requires python-gtk2 which says it needs python2.5-gobject.

Attempts to install meet with

Code:
    Package python2.5-gobject is a virtual package provided by:
    You should explicitly select one to install.
    E: Package python2.5-gobject has no installation candidate
    So I do some digging around and find out that this is already depreciated and I have the newest version already. So I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

The overarching reason for all of this is my laptop doesn't realize when it's plugged in and others with the same make and model have fixed the problem by compiling their own kernel with certain parts as modules. So if anyone can either help me get KernelCheck working or get my laptop to realize it's plugged in it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hmmm.... Try installing python-gobject. Also try apt-get build-dep python-gtk2 and then try installing python-gtk2. You definitely need that to run KC.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

According to apt python-gobject is already the newest version.

And when I try
    Code:
    apt-get build-dep python-gtk2
    I get

Code:
    Picking 'pygtk' as source package instead of 'python-gtk2'
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      gnome-icon-theme: Depends: librsvg2-common but it is not going to be installed
      libglade2-dev: Depends: libglade2-0 (= 1:2.6.4-1) but 1:2.6.4-1build1 is to be installed
                     Depends: libxml2-dev but it is not going to be installed
      libgtk2.0-dev: Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.18.3-1ubuntu2.2) but 2.20.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
                     Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.21.3) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libatk1.0-dev (>= 1.13.0) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libcairo2-dev (>= 1.6.4-6.1) but it is not going to be installedPicking 'pygtk' as source package instead of 'python-gtk2'
      gnome-icon-theme: Depends: librsvg2-common but it is not going to be installed
      libglade2-dev: Depends: libglade2-0 (= 1:2.6.4-1) but 1:2.6.4-1build1 is to be installed
                     Depends: libxml2-dev but it is not going to be installed
      libgtk2.0-dev: Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.18.3-1ubuntu2.2) but 2.20.1-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
                     Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.21.3) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libatk1.0-dev (>= 1.13.0) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libcairo2-dev (>= 1.6.4-6.1) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libx11-dev (>= 2:1.0.0-6) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxext-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-2) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxinerama-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-4.1) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxi-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxrandr-dev (>= 1:1.2.99) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxcursor-dev but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxfixes-dev (>= 1:3.0.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxcomposite-dev (>= 1:0.2.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxdamage-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-3) but it is not going to be installed
      python-all-dbg: Depends: python (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
                      Depends: python-all (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: python-dbg (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
      python-all-dev: Depends: python (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
                      Depends: python-dev (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: python2.6-dev but it is not going to be installed
      python-gobject-dev: Depends: python-dev but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libffi-dev (>= 3.0.5) but it is not going to be installed
      python-numpy-dbg: Depends: python-numpy (= 1:1.3.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: libblas3gf but it is not going to be installed or
                                 libblas.so.3gf or
                                 libatlas3gf-base but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: libgfortran3 (>= 4.3) but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: liblapack3gf but it is not going to be installed or
                                 liblapack.so.3gf or
    E: Build-dependencies for python-gtk2 could not be satisfied.
                     Depends: libx11-dev (>= 2:1.0.0-6) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxext-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-2) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxinerama-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-4.1) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxi-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxrandr-dev (>= 1:1.2.99) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxcursor-dev but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxfixes-dev (>= 1:3.0.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxcomposite-dev (>= 1:0.2.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
                     Depends: libxdamage-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-3) but it is not going to be installed
      python-all-dbg: Depends: python (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
                      Depends: python-dbg (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
      python-all-dev: Depends: python (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but 2.6.5-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
                      Depends: python-dev (= 2.6.4-0ubuntu1) but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: python2.6-dev but it is not going to be installed
      python-gobject-dev: Depends: python-dev but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
                          Depends: libffi-dev (>= 3.0.5) but it is not going to be installed
      python-numpy-dbg: Depends: python-numpy (= 1:1.3.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: libblas3gf but it is not going to be installed or
                                 libblas.so.3gf or
                        Depends: libgfortran3 (>= 4.3) but it is not going to be installed
                        Depends: liblapack3gf but it is not going to be installed or
                                 liblapack.so.3gf or
    E: Build-dependencies for python-gtk2 could not be satisfied.

Digging a bit deeper librsvg2-common also seems to be installed, but an older version is needed apparently:

Code:
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

librsvg2-common: Depends: librsvg2-2 (= 2.26.0-1) but 2.26.3-0ubuntu1 is to be installed

This is seeming less a problem with KernelCheck and more with some bug in the dependency system.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah that's a little ridiculous. Try python-gnome2.
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tried using it on Ubuntu 10.04-UNE (which was upgraded from 9.10)and I received this error message after running the command:

Code:
    sudo kernelcheck
    Code:
    Testing your network connection...
    Test was successful, you are connected to the internet

Begin data retrival. Please be patient as this may take some time.
      File "/usr/local/bin/kernelcheck-stage2", line 555, in <module>
        ProgressBar()
      File "/usr/local/bin/kernelcheck-stage2", line 336, in __init__
        spurl, kpver, sdate, kver, release = kernel_info1()
      File "/usr/local/bin/kernelcheck-stage2", line 84, in kernel_info1
        htmlFeed = urllib2.urlopen('http://www.kernel.org/kdist/fragments/stable.html')
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
        return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 397, in open
        response = meth(req, response)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 510, in http_response
        'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 435, in error
        return self._call_chain(*args)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 369, in _call_chain
        result = func(*args)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 518, in http_error_default
        raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
    urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Any help?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzkreigBop View Post
    Tried using it on Ubuntu 10.04-UNE (which was upgraded from 9.10)and I received this error message after running the command:

Code:
    sudo kernelcheck
    Code:
    Testing your network connection...
    Test was successful, you are connected to the internet

Begin data retrival. Please be patient as this may take some time.
      File "/usr/local/bin/kernelcheck-stage2", line 555, in <module>
        ProgressBar()
      File "/usr/local/bin/kernelcheck-stage2", line 336, in __init__
        spurl, kpver, sdate, kver, release = kernel_info1()
      File "/usr/local/bin/kernelcheck-stage2", line 84, in kernel_info1
        htmlFeed = urllib2.urlopen('http://www.kernel.org/kdist/fragments/stable.html')
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
        return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 397, in open
        response = meth(req, response)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 510, in http_response
        'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 435, in error
        return self._call_chain(*args)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 369, in _call_chain
        result = func(*args)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/urllib2.py", line 518, in http_error_default
        raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
    urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    Any help?
    You need to upgrade to the latest version. You can download the .deb or the source code here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kche...elcheck/1.2.5/

Beans

Is there someway to have it compile using the free space in /home instead of /?

It filled up / forcing me to reinstall when I couldn't empty enough space to log in, and after reinstalling I tried running it again and it filled up 4 GB of free space on my / partition before exiting because there is no more room.

So, how do I delete all the files it created, how much room do I need and how can I set the compile directory somewhere else?

Sorry for all these questions

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LostSpoon View Post
    Is there someway to have it compile using the free space in /home instead of /?

It filled up / forcing me to reinstall when I couldn't empty enough space to log in, and after reinstalling I tried running it again and it filled up 4 GB of free space on my / partition before exiting because there is no more room.

So, how do I delete all the files it created, how much room do I need and how can I set the compile directory somewhere else?

Sorry for all these questions
    Not yet. I planned this for the next version.

Beans

After I discovered the kernel ppa I stopped using kernelcheck, but I have gone back to it due to the recent ppa packages not playing nice with my laptop for some reason. Like the new interface, even if it doesn't look as nice under KDE4.
    Only issue I have encountered so far is that it doesn't work with rc kernels. Been trying to build the latest 2.6.35 but it always exits at stage 3.
    I also tried the development version. When I try to run it the terminal comes back with a "you need python gtk bindings" message. I do have said bindings already installed though. OS is Kubuntu 10.04 32bit.
    Hardware:
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core @ 3.04GHz, Motherboard: LP DK 790FX-M2RS, Chipset: ATI RD790 + SB600, System Memory: 3960MB, Disk: 640GB WDC WD6401AALS-0, Graphics: HD4850 @ 750/1100, Screen Resolution: 1680x1050

Beans

Can you force KernelCheck to use the latest Kernel Prepatch 2.6.35-rc2?

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast