View Poll Results: Would you like a "wizard" version of KernelCheck?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

Beans

Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

after running I get this at the end

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
    run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
    Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.32.2-candela.postinst line 1186.
    dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.32.2-candela (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    linux-image-2.6.32.2-candela
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

now when I install anything through apt-get after it installs it reruns the end of kernelcheck with this ending as well. if need be I can copy all thats running there. Just thought this might be enough for an answer.
    thanks. oh and I did get to boot into the new kernel by running the grub stuff myself after the error at the end. I'm using ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by lunaparadox View Post
    after running I get this at the end

Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common
    run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/nvidia-common exited with return code 20
    Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.32.2-candela.postinst line 1186.
    dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.32.2-candela (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    linux-image-2.6.32.2-candela
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

now when I install anything through apt-get after it installs it reruns the end of kernelcheck with this ending as well. if need be I can copy all thats running there. Just thought this might be enough for an answer.
    thanks. oh and I did get to boot into the new kernel by running the grub stuff myself after the error at the end. I'm using ubuntu 9.10
    Try this.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...on#post6289960
    DEEPSPRING ::.
    Links: OCAU ::.

Beans

Thanks that got it

Beans

Hy!
    I was complied a new (2.6.32.2) kernel to linux mint 8 with the kernelcheck app. In the upcoming menuconfig I don't do nothing since i'm not an expert in kernel compiling, so i think it uses the default kernel options what comes with mint 8. After it done i was rebooted and choose the new kernel in grub, but then it won't boot, only show black screen. What can be the problem? The only reason i need the newest kernel is the support for my ati r6xx card's 3d acceleration. The default mint kernel is still works fine. I get the following message when i load the 2.6.31-14 kernel's config: warning Symbol value 'm' invalid for FB_VESA.
    So the old config not fully compatible i think. But how can i solve this? I'm a rookie when it comes to config the kernel. I was search for fb_vesa in the menuconfig and it gives me a new vga vesa option, so i choose y for it. But the result is the same. After i try to start the safe mode of the kernel i see some lines and before the black screen i saw 2 lines what started with [SATA], then the monitor goes black. Alt+sysRq+reisub the only thing what react. I was try the glxpayload=text option to start the kernel (changed from vga=normal) but it do the same thing.

Beans
    Hidden!

Is there a way of using KernelCheck just on command line? I'd like to run it on my Ubuntu Server install to get to 2.26.32 together with BFS and maybe compile everything with ICC. Remotely possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sorry, console/terminal support is planned for the next version.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

I don't think ATI had released a driver that would build with the 2.6.32 kernel at that time. When you build a new kernel, you also have to rebuild Nvidia and ATI proprietary drivers. Ordinarily, dkms will do this automatically if the drivers support it...but you may have to wait a bit for the new fglrx support.

Unless you are talking about the new xorg radeon driver, which is open-source? Then you may have to do a little web searching to see what the correct configuration for that driver in the kernel is. I think you have at least enable kernel mode setting for ATI cards.

That "m" symbol that was no longer compatible means build that driver as a module; like you said, that may no longer be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke65 View Post
    Hy!
    I was complied a new (2.6.32.2) kernel to linux mint 8 with the kernelcheck app. In the upcoming menuconfig I don't do nothing since i'm not an expert in kernel compiling, so i think it uses the default kernel options what comes with mint 8. After it done i was rebooted and choose the new kernel in grub, but then it won't boot, only show black screen. What can be the problem? The only reason i need the newest kernel is the support for my ati r6xx card's 3d acceleration. The default mint kernel is still works fine. I get the following message when i load the 2.6.31-14 kernel's config: warning Symbol value 'm' invalid for FB_VESA.
    So the old config not fully compatible i think. But how can i solve this? I'm a rookie when it comes to config the kernel. I was search for fb_vesa in the menuconfig and it gives me a new vga vesa option, so i choose y for it. But the result is the same. After i try to start the safe mode of the kernel i see some lines and before the black screen i saw 2 lines what started with [SATA], then the monitor goes black. Alt+sysRq+reisub the only thing what react. I was try the glxpayload=text option to start the kernel (changed from vga=normal) but it do the same thing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    You probably encountered this error:
    Code:
    Your /etc/rc.local file is temporarily being moved to install
    the nVidia driver on reboot. It will be run as normal on reboot.
    Please boot into the new kernel at the GRUB menu.

Press ENTER to acknowledge these instructions. 
    /usr/local/share/kernelcheck/scripts/kscript.sh: line 313: [185.18.14: command not found
    I'm looking into it right now.

Edit: If that was the case, you need to move /etc/rc.local.backup-kernelcheck to /etc/rc.local ASAP in order to prevent your computer from getting stuck in an nVidia-installation loop when it reboots.
    I recently compiled the 2.6.32.3 kernel (with a patch) on my Ubuntu 9.10 machine and had this error as well. When running 'top' I could see nvidia-installer continually running at 100% CPU. The above fix above along with running /usr/src/NVIDIA* to install the nvidia driver fixed the problem for me.

Thanks!

Beans

27 Mar 2010

Newbie. Am trying to upgrade kernel in Toshiba laptop running 9.10 to fix wireless problem and generally improve performance. Downloaded and have run KernelCheck several times. Keeps hanging at 70% according to the indicator bar. the Terminal window has these details:
    This is kernel package version 11.015.
    echo "The UTS Release version in include/Linux/version.h"; echo " \"\" "; echo "does not match current version:"; echo " \"2.6.33.1-candela\" "; echo "Please correct this."; exit 2
    The UTS Release version in include/Linux/version.h
    ""
    does not match current version:
    "2.6.33.1-candela"
    Please correct this.
    make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/install/linux-image-2.6.33.1-candela] Error 2
    make: *** [kernel_image] Error 2
    make[1]: leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-2.6.33'

ABORT: stage6 returned exit status 2
    I have no clue on what all of that means and what I need to do to fix whatever is wrong. I would be most grateful for any assistance.

(Also, a small post-script, I retyped all of the terminal remarks above because copy paste is unavailable. Is there some alternative method to C-P when, like now, I cannot select text in the terminal? Thnx).
    Many thanks in advance.
    LTP

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hi
    i downloaded the newest source from SF and patched it, but everytime i try to run it from the terminal and click on "Get Kernel Information" i get this error

Code:
    Testing your network connection...
    Connection found.
    have not read
    read feed
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/share/kernelcheck/scripts/main.py", line 502, in get_data
        patch_url, patch, stable, stable_url, OldKernelList, OldKernelLinks, prepatch, prepatch_url = self.kernelinfo()
      File "/usr/local/share/kernelcheck/scripts/main.py", line 126, in kernelinfo
        KPParser.close()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 112, in close
        self.goahead(1)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 164, in goahead
        self.error("EOF in middle of construct")
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/HTMLParser.py", line 115, in error
        raise HTMLParseError(message, self.getpos())
    HTMLParser.HTMLParseError: EOF in middle of construct, at line 7, column 11
    am i missing something?

it just stays on "Retrieving information from http://www.kernel.org/" and dosen't do anything :/

but if i click on "Check for KernelCheck Updates" it works

i hope someone can help me with this

ciao
    ghostkill3r
    Last edited by ghostkill3r; April 1st, 2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: forgot something

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast