View Poll Results: Would you like a "wizard" version of KernelCheck?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 100.00%
  • No

    0 0%
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 531

Thread: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

  1. #431
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    666
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    Use the .run file in /usr/src.
    Make sure the path exists.

    sh /usr/src/nvidia-driver -a -q --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30.1-candela

    EDIT: you should have the run file if you ever checked the nVidia option in KC. If not, go download the latest one from nVidia.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

  2. #432
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    #!
    Beans
    1,749

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    Got it all squared away....

    Thanks for your help!

  3. #433
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    666
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    Anytime. I just don't understand why KC didn't remove all the nVidia stuff when you checked the option. Guess I got some bug work to do.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

  4. #434
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    #!
    Beans
    1,749

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Use the .run file in /usr/src.
    Make sure the path exists.

    sh /usr/src/nvidia-driver -a -q --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30.1-candela

    EDIT: you should have the run file if you ever checked the nVidia option in KC. If not, go download the latest one from nVidia.
    I did use the nVidia option and the .run file was not there.

    I ended up using the deb and ppa that brought me to 185.14

    Also, as I noted, kernelcheck did not update menu.lst but I did see in the script that it would not do it because it was seen as a reinstall of the same kernel. This is fine as I added my own, but it might want to give the option to update the menu.lst no matter what and avoid conflict/confusion

    Thanks!

  5. #435
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    #!
    Beans
    1,749

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Anytime. I just don't understand why KC didn't remove all the nVidia stuff when you checked the option. Guess I got some bug work to do.
    Let me know if I can assist in any way...

    I have several test machines at your disosal

  6. #436
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    666
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    Thanks, I'll be putting together a completely revamped script next week, and I'll need some testing help since my co-developer has other obligations coming up.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

  7. #437
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    2,134
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    this is a really great tool thanks.

    But it should not automatically download and install the newest nvidia driver 185 if you check the nvidia option. It is also not mentioned which driver it is going to load.
    I just clicked the option in good hope but ended up with the wrong driver and had to change the link in /usr/src by hand to the 96 drivers.


    btw the 96.43.11 drivers need a patch to run with the 2.6.30.1 kernel (haven't tested the 96.43.13 yet):
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133990
    Last edited by MadCow108; July 20th, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

  8. #438
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    #!
    Beans
    1,749

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCow108 View Post
    this is a really great tool thanks.

    But it should not automatically download and install the newest nvidia driver 185 if you check the nvidia option. It is also not mentioned which driver it is going to load.
    I just clicked the option in good hope but ended up with the wrong driver and had to change the link in /usr/src by hand to the 96 drivers.


    btw the 96 drivers need a patch to run with the 2.6.30.1 kernel:
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133990
    Which driver is the "wrong driver" that it picked up?

  9. #439
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    2,134
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    it loaded a 185 driver
    I need a 96 legacy driver for my old card.

    (btw I just saw there's a new 96 driver available so my note with the patch only aplies to the old 96.43.11 driver.)
    Last edited by MadCow108; July 20th, 2009 at 11:03 AM.

  10. #440
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    #!
    Beans
    1,749

    Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

    Quote Originally Posted by MadCow108 View Post
    it loaded a 185 driver
    I need a 96 legacy driver for my old card.

    (btw I just saw there's a new 96 driver available so my note with the patch only aplies to the old 96.43.11 driver.)
    I am pretty sure the script is only setup to get the latest stable drivers from the nVidia site. I think it would be near impossible for it to do a hal scan to determine what you and every other user would need for a driver, but I will let the author speak to that...

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •