View Poll Results: Would you like a "wizard" version of KernelCheck?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

Beans

Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

can you post the url for the experimental version for use with jaunty please

Cheers

Stef

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by steffan72 View Post
    can you post the url for the experimental version for use with jaunty please

Cheers

Stef
    Do you mean the development version (Lumen) or the experimental branch?

I suggest you follow the instructions in the first post of this thread for installing the development version (Lumen) instead.

The experimental branch is under constant development, so it may contain some major bugs. All of our brain storming work is done in the experimental branch. It is only available via bazaar (bzr).

If you really want the experimental branch, open a terminal window up and fire these commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bzr
    bzr branch lp:~team-kcheck/kernelcheck/experimental
    cd experimental
    sudo python setup.py install
    Don't expect any help if you encounter any bugs with this version. Chances are the bugs are be deliberate inclusions for debugging and testing purposes.

Edit: To remove the experimental version, open a terminal window and fire these commands:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /var/log/kernelcheck*
    sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/kernelcheck
    sudo rm -rf /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/KernelCheck*
    sudo rm -rf /usr/local/share/kernelcheck
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/applications/kernelcheck.desktop
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/pixmaps/kernelcheckicon.png
    Last edited by deepspring; June 12th, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
    DEEPSPRING ::.
    Links: OCAU ::.

Beans

got it

i did find it in the end and have compiled the new kernel but it didn't install the nvidia graphics drivers. doesn't seem to want to install them through the hardware drivers section either

any thoughts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

got it

i did find it in the end and have compiled the new kernel but it didn't install the nvidia graphics drivers. doesn't seem to want to install them through the hardware drivers section either

any thoughts
    You probably encountered this error:
    Code:
    Your /etc/rc.local file is temporarily being moved to install
    the nVidia driver on reboot. It will be run as normal on reboot.
    Please boot into the new kernel at the GRUB menu.

Press ENTER to acknowledge these instructions. 
    /usr/local/share/kernelcheck/scripts/kscript.sh: line 313: [185.18.14: command not found
    I'm looking into it right now.

Edit: If that was the case, you need to move /etc/rc.local.backup-kernelcheck to /etc/rc.local ASAP in order to prevent your computer from getting stuck in an nVidia-installation loop when it reboots.
    Last edited by master_kernel; June 12th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

actually i am getting a different error to that

it comes up with an error saying failure to load nvidia module then it tells me x is already running on monitor 0 and wants me to run in low or default graphics mode on monitor 1. This isw all happening before it loads up the gui

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

actually i am getting a different error to that

it comes up with an error saying failure to load nvidia module then it tells me x is already running on monitor 0 and wants me to run in low or default graphics mode on monitor 1. This isw all happening before it loads up the gui
    You need to reconfigure X server so it uses one of the fail safe drivers instead.

Restart the computer, when it gets to the "Loading grub" message, press the ESC key. You should be presented with a list of kernels to boot from, select the first "(recovery mode)" option and hit ENTER.

The machine should be booting into Recovery Mode at this point, when it is finished you should be presented with a menu, scroll down and select the "xfix" option and hit ENTER. When that completes, you should be returned to the menu, press the TAB key until "CANCEL" is selected and hit ENTER.

The computer should startup as normal.

Once you are back in Gnome, use the System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers applet to install the nVidia drivers.
    Last edited by deepspring; June 13th, 2009 at 02:12 AM.
    DEEPSPRING ::.
    Links: OCAU ::.

Beans

kernelcheck 1.2.5 is crashing as soon as apply tab is pressed, kernelcheck will work if ran in terminal as root.

Any ideal what's causing kernelcheck to close when the apply tab is pressed?

issue has been fixed thanks.
    Last edited by vampirefo; June 16th, 2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro

This would have been bug 387426:https://bugs.launchpad.net/kernelcheck/+bug/387426
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thx for this app.

just a few suggestions since one can't use the nvidia 180 driver without a patch. ( and the kernelcheck nvidia installer is / was broken )...
    I had quite a hard time fixing some issues

My suggestions > wouldn't it be wise to include an unistaller ( purge ) for any nvidia related packages prior to compiling a new driver.
    Purging everything nvidia related prior to manually compile the 185 driver not only fixed the driver issue itself, but strangely enough also fixed a mounting issue ( fstab trying to mount a couple of shares before all NIC's where up )

to resume > here's what I did ( as root ) after compiling the 2.6.30 kernel
    stopping the X server prior to following steps is important > CTRL+ALT+F1 > login > /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+F1  
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop 
    apt-get purge nvidia*
    reboot

/etc/init.d/gdm stop   
    cd /tmp
    wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/185.18.14/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run
    reboot
    I did enable 32 bit compatibility mode for any 32 bit app that might need it.

64bit kernel on
    > i7 965
    > Asrock Supercomputer X58
    > 12GB OCZ @ 1600
    > 295GTX
    democracy : 2 wolves and a sheep voting on "what's for dinner"
    i am self-employed, and my views reflect the electrical charges held between many simultaneously firing synapses... or is that synapsi?
    http://3d.uk.to

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by djamu View Post
    Thx for this app.

just a few suggestions since one can't use the nvidia 180 driver without a patch. ( and the kernelcheck nvidia installer is / was broken )...
    I had quite a hard time fixing some issues

My suggestions > wouldn't it be wise to include an unistaller ( purge ) for any nvidia related packages prior to compiling a new driver.
    Purging everything nvidia related prior to manually compile the 185 driver not only fixed the driver issue itself, but strangely enough also fixed a mounting issue ( fstab trying to mount a couple of shares before all NIC's where up )

to resume > here's what I did ( as root ) after compiling the 2.6.30 kernel
    stopping the X server prior to following steps is important > CTRL+ALT+F1 > login > /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Code:
    Ctrl+Alt+F1  
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop 
    apt-get purge nvidia*
    reboot

/etc/init.d/gdm stop   
    cd /tmp
    wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/185.18.14/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.14-pkg2.run
    reboot
    I did enable 32 bit compatibility mode for any 32 bit app that might need it.

64bit kernel on
    > i7 965
    > Asrock Supercomputer X58
    > 12GB OCZ @ 1600
    > 295GTX
    This is already integrated into the latest development version, becoming stable by June 22.

Thanks for the feedback,
    MK

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast