View Poll Results: Would you like a "wizard" version of KernelCheck?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

Beans

Re: Howto: Installing and using KernelCheck

Hi,
    this program looks very promising and cool. I'm guessing which config is used when user press the Build Latest Kernel button. Does it run make oldconfig and then choose the defaults for the new options?

I would like the possibility to run make xconfig to customize all the options (i.e. disable generic x86 support and choose my processor family; build all the drivers i need inside the kernel instead of as modules; etc). Is it already possible to do this or can you add a small checkbox for this?

thanks, bye

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by risidoro View Post
    Hi,
    this program looks very promising and cool. I'm guessing which config is used when user press the Build Latest Kernel button. Does it run make oldconfig and then choose the defaults for the new options?

I would like the possibility to run make xconfig to customize all the options (i.e. disable generic x86 support and choose my processor family; build all the drivers i need inside the kernel instead of as modules; etc). Is it already possible to do this or can you add a small checkbox for this?

thanks, bye
    Hi, thank you for considering my program.

1. It does run make oldconfig, but it does not automatically choose the default options. You can choose the default options by holding down ENTER when make oldconfig is run.

2. It does automatically run make xconfig for customization.

master_kernel
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

So your application makes and installs a deb file (kernel) which can be removed with Synaptic? It will respect the kernels that are installed already?
    Last edited by OffHand; October 4th, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OffHand View Post
    So your application makes and install a deb file (kernel) which can be removed with Synaptic? It will respect the kernels that are installed already?
    Of course!

master_kernel
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

Hi Master_kernel,
    can you pls tell me what's the difference between:
    Latest kernel patch and Posted kernel patch? Or Latest kernel prepatch and Posted kernel prepatch?

Actually, i've found the difference by looking in kernelcheck-stage2 file, Posted kernel is the one listed in master kernel thread, right? But i don't quite understand why this information should be useful...

Moreover: why do you compare posted kernel ver (from the forum) with latest kernel ver (from kernel.org)? Why should i need such an information?

Finally: there is a problem when you compare latest kernel ver (from kernel.org) with installed-kernel ver (with uname -r) to see whether my kernel is up to date or not: the problem is that in gutsy (at least in my system), 'uname -r' returns "2.6.22-12-generic" but the kernel version you get from kernel.org, the latest one, will never contain the tailing string '-generic' so installed kernel version and latest kernel version will never match even if my system is actually up to date. I hope i've been clear enough, my english is not so good.

Anyway, i really like your program, i hope you'll continue developing and improving it!

BTW, before i forget, add me to the list of people asking for hacking features in next version. +1 for me!

Beans
    Distro

1. The posted kernel patch is just useless information, primarily for me to know when to update the thread.
    2. In the next release, I will add support for parsing the 2.6.**-generic to read 2.6.**
    3. There will be hacking support in the new version, codenamed HYDRA because of the many new features that will be included. This hacking support will only be available to those who put a certain file in a certain folder with a certain line in it, so others who don't want this feature will not have it.

ANNOUNCEMENT:
    The next version of KernelCheck (Codename HYDRA) is scheduled to be released by November 1 with MANY new features. Please post any requests for HYDRA to this thread.

Beans

I just used your application to build and install the latest kernel. It worked great! There we still a lot of questions which needed to be answered. Can you recommend a good guide for the options that a not answered by default?
    "I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OffHand View Post
    I just used your application to build and install the latest kernel. It worked great! There we still a lot of questions which needed to be answered. Can you recommend a good guide for the options that a not answered by default?
    I am currently trying to find a way to eliminate those questions. You can usually press and hold Enter to select the defaults for it. Those are part of 'make oldconfig' which uses your current kernel configuration to build the new kernel. The questions to be answered are new options not specified in the old kernel. If you know a way to somehow send the 'Enter' keyboard signal to the terminal, please share it. This would be a great help.

Beans

I am currently trying to find a way to eliminate those questions. You can usually press and hold Enter to select the defaults for it.
    I've found this two commands but i've not tested them:

make silentoldconfig OR
    make ARCH=i386 nonint_oldconfig

----

A good addition to your next version would be this script i've found on kernel mailing list: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...03.1/1248.html

The script will automatically disable in the config all the drivers that you're currently not using. To do so it checks the loaded modules (lsmod) and then disable in the confg all the modules that are not loaded in the pc (probably because they're not needed).

With a little change to the perl code you can have a even more useful feature: you set the config so that all the modules you're currently using (lsmod) will be compiled inside the kernel instead of as modules. Usually this is what i manually do when i compile a new kernel: i include all the drivers i need inside the kernel and not as modules.

Bye

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by risidoro View Post
    I've found this two commands but i've not tested them:

make silentoldconfig OR
    make ARCH=i386 nonint_oldconfig

----

A good addition to your next version would be this script i've found on kernel mailing list: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...03.1/1248.html

The script will automatically disable in the config all the drivers that you're currently not using. To do so it checks the loaded modules (lsmod) and then disable in the confg all the modules that are not loaded in the pc (probably because they're not needed).

With a little change to the perl code you can have a even more useful feature: you set the config so that all the modules you're currently using (lsmod) will be compiled inside the kernel instead of as modules. Usually this is what i manually do when i compile a new kernel: i include all the drivers i need inside the kernel and not as modules.

Bye
    Wow! This was a great help! I'll test out the make silentoldconfig later, and if it works, I'll include in the HYDRA release. I might add an option to use the script you mentioned if that works too. The downside of this is that if you need hardware support later that is not compiled into the kernel, it won't work. I'll have to do some playing around since I don't know PERL.

Thank you!
    master_kernel

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast