View Poll Results: Would you like a "wizard" version of KernelCheck?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

Beans

Re: HowTo: Installing and using KernelCheck

Why do I want the latest kernel if you please? I'm currently on Linux version 2.6.15-29-k7 (buildd@terranova) (gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 24 17:31:22 UTC 2007

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by glotz View Post
    Why do I want the latest kernel if you please? I'm currently on Linux version 2.6.15-29-k7 (buildd@terranova) (gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 24 17:31:22 UTC 2007
    If you don't know, then you don't want it.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Why doesn't it make sense? "wget -c" continues downloading the source, but if it is already downloaded, it continues with the script. See below.

Code:
    me@my-desktop:/usr/src$ wget -c http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...2.6.23.tar.bz2
    --14:48:11--  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...2.6.23.tar.bz2
               => `linux-2.6.23.tar.bz2'
    Resolving www.kernel.org... 204.152.191.37, 204.152.191.5
    Connecting to www.kernel.org|204.152.191.37|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable

The file is already fully retrieved; nothing to do
    Am I missing something?
    If you do "rm -rf", it will delete the downloaded source archive! So wget cannot continue.. It will download again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    BUGFIX: I have updated and hopefully fixed the nVidia driver problem. It will use the nvidia-glx packages in the repos. Also, the bug that caused the kernel not to build unless you recheck the option is now fixed. Thank you for your feedback.
    I got it to build the kernel but had no luck with nVidia. This should install when the kernel installs, right?
    Just to be sure, where would one download the version of KC with this bug fix? I got mine from http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/pool/testing-git/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by xinix View Post
    I got it to build the kernel but had no luck with nVidia. This should install when the kernel installs, right?
    Just to be sure, where would one download the version of KC with this bug fix? I got mine from http://kcheck.sourceforge.net/pool/testing-git/
    Did you reupdate KernelCheck after I posted the update?

EDIT: That is the right link. Also, I pinpointed and fixed the problem. If you update KernelCheck again, it should work.
    Last edited by master_kernel; November 29th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kalpik View Post
    If you do "rm -rf", it will delete the downloaded source archive! So wget cannot continue.. It will download again!
    Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. I thought you asking me to ADD the rm -rf option. Anyway, I fixed it and uploaded the fix.
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thanks a LOT! You are doing a lot of us here a BIG favour! Keep up the good work

Beans
    Distro

ANNOUNCEMENT: There are over 1000 KernelCheck users worldwide. This project has expanded greatly after I posted this topic. Thank you for your feedback and support!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had luck building the kernel and nvidia debs but the driver still doesn't seem to work. When I boot with the new kernel X won't load because it doesn't find the driver. Is there anything special that needs to be done, or should this be a normal install, reboot and go type of thing?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xinix View Post
    I had luck building the kernel and nvidia debs but the driver still doesn't seem to work. When I boot with the new kernel X won't load because it doesn't find the driver. Is there anything special that needs to be done, or should this be a normal install, reboot and go type of thing?
    Hmmm... I'll look at Envy and hopefully this will be fixed by tomorrow. At least the debs were built though, thats the main part. Try sudo modprobe nvidia in the new kernel and restart X.

Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast