Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the XPS M1330?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What do you think of the XPS M1330?

I love it!

I have a red M1330. It looks great. I love the WLED screen which is very slim, bright and sharp. The laptop is nice and portable.

And most importantly, Ubuntu 7.10 works great on my M1330. Everything, except one thing (see below) works out of the box - including wireless networking and the webcam.

The one thing that didn't work was the internal microphone, but there is a fix available for it which is easy to install - see bug #147682.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Oops! mistook a $ for a £........

Still a bit pricy though, Core 2 Duo laptops start around half the price of that one.
    Well, one can get the cheapest M1330 for less (50€) than an Apple MacBook, which is one, if not the cheapest 13.3" laptop out there. I have to look for the prices of C-series Sony Vaios, but I guess they won't be cheaper.

The closest comparison can be made between the (spanish store) middle MacBook and the middle segment M1330. They both cost the same. The macbook has a stronger processor (by 0.2 GHz), but the XPS has a dedicated graphics card one more Gb of ram. You can then take into account that the Dell weighs (in this configuration) about 0.5kg (slightly over 1 pound) less than the apple machine. Of course, if all you want is OS X, your choice is clear.

In any case, the M1330 is indeed a thin and light, especially with the LED display. I haven't seen it live, but I suppose its build quality is comparable (probably better) to a Sony SZ series. I can't call the macbook thin and light, as it weighs as much as a MBP (yes) and is thicker.

PS: I haven't looked into Asus or System76 laptops for the comparison for laziness and lack of availability on my country respectively.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Oops! mistook a $ for a £........

Still a bit pricy though, Core 2 Duo laptops start around half the price of that one.
    it's a mid priced laptop. not a big deal.

Beans

I would rather buy a Thinkpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    ... just what i was about to say a nice T61 with 2,2GHz cpu and 4G ram

Beans
    Distro

The thing is, a 14" WXGA T61 weighs 2.30 kg with the 4cell battery (I dunno about the CD). The 6cell M1330 weighs less than 2.0 kg, and weighs 1.79 with the 4cell battery, the WLED display and a DVD-RW unit. One can say that the thinkpad has an impressive uber-resistant magnesium case that keeps the laptop extremely cool. Another argument is the proven ThinkPad keyboard. But then, the lack of the FlexView display on the new models plus the somewhat lacking battery life are factors against the more expensive T61. As you see, it's not a clear-cut case (unless you're a programmer).

In any case, I'd love to see the build quality of the Dell in person, so that I can wash away all my doubts.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

okay.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm getting ready to trade in my T60 for a HP 8710w in a few more weeks. pwns a T61p. I've worked on of these and one of the highest specced T61p's side by side, and I can get the HP for $300 more than the lenovo, getting a better processor and video card, and larger screen. According to HP, they will be able to adress 8GB next year with a firmware update.
    Last edited by toupeiro; November 20th, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My cousin has one (running Vista) it's very nice. Though he doesn't use half the things on it (webcam, mic, HDMI port, etc..). He just got it for the power (he plays games on it in between his college classes). While I go back to my room and nap or write on here
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I love my xps M1330.

Everything (except the onboard mic - got it working thanks to this thread) worked on Gutsy straight out of the box.

The performance is great (2.4GHz dual core, 4GB RAM, 320GB hard drive), and my configuration weighs less than 2kg. The WLED screen is awesome, especially with compiz fusion (which runs brilliantly). The keyboard and the overall aesthetics are great.

Well recommended for anyone wanting a modern, high performance, light laptop running the latest releases of Ubuntu!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast