Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 128-bit AMD Phenom processor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

128-bit AMD Phenom processor

Could you tell me if this means that the processor is now capable of 128-bit architecture?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/...web/page3.html

The Phenom's SSE unit is being widened to 128 bits , up from the Athlon 64's 64 bit unit.
    Its not all that important, as only half of Linux users and mabye 5 % of Windows users decide to use 64 bit. ( Could someone tell me what Mac's OS is)

Still, I've always liked used 64-bit, even thought I don't have any performance gains for the applications I use.

When would Ubuntu consider starting to use 128-bit architecture for the OS? Would it be a few years after the processors comes out, or would a developmental OS be started within a few months?
    Be kind to others. Even those that are not kind to you. You never know if their mom just died.
    -My Mom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 128-bit AMD Phenom processor

64bit was developed so that a system could use more than 4Gb of RAM
    64bit is capable of using a few million terrabytes of RAM

So using 128 bit wont be needed for a long time, while most systems will be needing a 64 bit processor within a few years.
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans
    Distro

I have heard of performance boosts from using the 64 bit architecture. And I really hope that one day I will not need a terabyte of RAM. If I do, I hope I wave my hand and the task is done.
    Be kind to others. Even those that are not kind to you. You never know if their mom just died.
    -My Mom

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jpittack View Post
    Its not all that important, as only half of Linux users and mabye 5 % of Windows users decide to use 64 bit.
    That'll change once Microsoft decides to pay attention to 64-bit processors, if only to use it for marketing purposes. Currently, 64-bit Windows seems to be horrible, by what I read, so there is little motivation for MS to promote it.

I use 64-bit versions of Linux, and there are no problems, except needing a 32-bit browser for full Java support. But that will eventually change when Sun releases a 64-bit version of the plugins and Javaws.

Beans
    Distro

I did try 64 bit Windows and had little trouble with it, but as stated before, I don't use many applications that really take an advantage of it.
    -My Mom

Beans
    Distro

Same here (well, in Linux), except some video decoding -- but whether the five files I decode a week take two minutes or ninety seconds makes no difference. Then again, since I have 64-bit hardware, I would never use anything else on it, especially since in time most everyone will use a 64-bit box, so more apps that were designed from scratch for 64-bit will show up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile Re: 128-bit AMD Phenom processor

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    So using 128 bit wont be needed for a long time, while most systems will be needing a 64 bit processor within a few years.
    Dont say that it wasn't that long ago that we used a 16 bit and it has only been about ten years since so who knows what will happen in the future. I know people who would love to have a terabyte plus of memory.

EDIT:never mind I just found out that 64 bit goes al the way upto 16 exabytes or terabyte*1024*1024
    Last edited by Lostincyberspace; November 19th, 2007 at 09:13 PM.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.04 Raring Ringtail

is it a SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) thing like altivec?

there have been a few 128bit CPUs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/128-bit

128 bit is good for high precision simulation.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The SSE unit moving to 128-bit doesn't necessary mean the processor is 128-bit. It would require 128-bit registers and memory adresses at least. AFAIK

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jpittack View Post
    Could you tell me if this means that the processor is now capable of 128-bit architecture?
    No, it's not a 128bit CPU, just 64bits. The 128bit only refers to the SSE registers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast