Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Recording on Startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Stop Recording on Startup

Is there a setting that will prevent the application from recording what I am watching.
    It slows the computer down and I don't have much space.

Also is it possible to record on an NTFS drive. I changed the recordings folder to one of these drives and mythTV fails to start the tv tuner.

Beans

Re: Stop Recording on Startup

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    Is there a setting that will prevent the application from recording what I am watching.
    It slows the computer down and I don't have much space.

Also is it possible to record on an NTFS drive. I changed the recordings folder to one of these drives and mythTV fails to start the tv tuner.
    It has to record what you watch on live TV, otherwise you won't be able to pause and rewind etc. All the recordings are marked to be the first to expire when the HD space is required, so just ignore them.

I would not recommend NTFS. If you have read/write access it might work, but I suspect performance will be bad. Use something xfs.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post
    It has to record what you watch on live TV, otherwise you won't be able to pause and rewind etc. All the recordings are marked to be the first to expire when the HD space is required, so just ignore them.
    I don't want need this feature so there is no way to turn it off?

Or even feature to limit how much it wastes on this.
    I would not recommend NTFS. If you have read/write access it might work, but I suspect performance will be bad. Use something xfs.
    what user needs access given to them? myth or main account?

Edit : got this to work by editing fstab by giving ownership to mythtv
    Last edited by pt123; November 19th, 2007 at 09:12 AM.

Beans

I don't believe so.

Beans
    Distro

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post

It won't waste space on these recordings. They will be automatically deleted if a new recording needs the space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well it will only be using space when the live tv area is active. You can change how much space live tv is allowed to occupy. Note also, any recordings will always take precedence. So if you drive was filled with live tv, it would go away when a recording needed the space.

Beans

Switch to a native MPEG2 card or a better CPU, or play around with settings that will reduce CPU usage. Installing the proper Xorg drivers will help a lot, as will getting the Xvmc overlay output up and running. Also, spend some time working on your "Live TV" record encoder settings, you may need to select a lower resolution or reduce compression. One gotcha, especially if you don't have Xvmc working, is using a high monitor resolution. Without any hardware overlay support, your CPU will have to do all of the scaling in software. Normally you would want your video resolution to be around 800x600, unless you're running a true HDTV setup.

It took me a few hours of constant tweaking to get the CPU usage during Live TV down to acceptable 25%-35% levels with a no-MPEG2 bt8x8 card. Out of the box, so to speak, it was running up to 80% usage on an AMD64 3200+ at 2.0GHz.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    Well it will only be using space when the live tv area is active. You can change how much space live tv is allowed to occupy.
    Where is this setting.
    I am also using this drive with other OSes & programs and they really don't know when mythtv has crapped over the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by macegr View Post
    Switch to a native MPEG2 card or a better CPU, or play around with settings that will reduce CPU usage. Installing the proper Xorg drivers will help a lot,
    It's a DVTB card so it doesn't need to do any encoding.

as will getting the Xvmc overlay output up and running. Also, spend some time working on your "Live TV" record encoder settings, you may need to select a lower resolution or reduce compression. One gotcha, especially if you don't have Xvmc working
    How do you know if XVMC is working. I have the nvidia driver for an MX440 card.

It took me a few hours of constant tweaking to get the CPU usage during Live TV down to acceptable 25%-35% .
    Is it possible to get the CPU usage overlayed on the screen because myth TV runs full screen and on top.

Anyway I feels its really unnecessary load on the CPU esp. during the summer here in Australia, a lot like Vista.
    I guess to watch normal TV I will stick to me-TV
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...TV-29756.shtml
    (you guys should include this). It's a very intuitive piece of software.

Anyway thanks for the help guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Where is this setting.
    I am also using this drive with other OSes & programs and they really don't know when mythtv has crapped over the drive.
    There is a setting to tell myth how much of the drive to "not touch"

How do you know if XVMC is working. I have the nvidia driver for an MX440 card.
    Black and White On Screen Display

Is it possible to get the CPU usage overlayed on the screen because myth TV runs full screen and on top.
    Yeah probably with a screenlet and/or Compiz Fusion.

Anyway I feels its really unnecessary load on the CPU esp. during the summer here in Australia, a lot like Vista.
    I guess to watch normal TV I will stick to me-TV
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Multi...TV-29756.shtml
    (you guys should include this). It's a very intuitive piece of software.
    Anyway thanks for the help guys.
    Look like an interesting piece of software. We won't be switching any time soon, but its always good to have alternatives to point people at.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    There is a setting to tell myth how much of the drive to "not touch"
    I found this:
    AutoExpireDiskThreshold 1 NULL At this percentage of disk space usage recorded programs begin to auto expir
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Settings_table
    but where is the config file located?

Black and White On Screen Display
    Not sure what you mean but the web page above has something about xmvc:
    UseMPEG2Dec 1 mythtv Which MPEG decoder to use. There are several; Standard (ffmpeg), libmpeg2, and hardware acceleration (XVMC, XVMC-VLD, MacAccel)
    UseXVMC 0 mythtv
    UseXvMcVld 0 mythtv

Yeah probably with a screenlet and/or Compiz Fusion.
    That is cumbersome, does XFCE have something like a system monitor in Gnome?

Look like an interesting piece of software. We won't be switching any time soon, but its always good to have alternatives to point people at.
    No need to switch but having it in the repositories.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pt123; November 20th, 2007 at 05:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast