Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: my dad with a computer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: my dad with a computer

Quote Originally Posted by de_valentin View Post
    Isn't Pidgin able to talk to all of those, perhaps not all the way (like msn has nudges that won't work) So only your mom would need to get used to use only 1 new application in stead of 2...
    I meant voice calls, does Pidgin do that?
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nope not yet anyway. I use Skype but that does require others to join (at least if you want to call for free)
    -- Really it's not a big deal,...some of my best friends are microsoft certified engineers. --

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Been thinking about this myself. My dad just ordered a laptop from a friend of his who works in the computer industry. It'll come pre-installed with Vista. I just wish I could be there (back in Northern Ireland) when it arrives, to wipe Vista and install Linux for him before he gets used to Vista. The only problem is that my dad's on the road a lot and wants wireless (I was amazed he knew what wireless was! He's only ever been on a computer a few times in his life) and I'm aware that Linux users often have problems with wireless. If I knew that would work out of the box, I'd get home and make the switch for him!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by NightCrawler03X
    You sir, are ignorant. Ask any person between 30 and 50 even today, and they'll either not have any computer experience, or relatively little (average user).
    That is really quite an amazingly ignorant, totally uninformed, blatently inflamatory and patently incorrect statement in and of itself. I fall within those parameters, and have been using a computer since I was 11. My parents do and I have 80+ year old friends that do. I suspect that a significant percentage of this forum also fall within your age group, 30 to 50. Unbelievable.
    Alan Rogers || Surrey, UK || Mint Julia, Ubuntu Oneiric || use Search before Post
    Please don't just copy, paste and run code. If you're not sure what it does, ask!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

<*slightly off topic*>
    Years ago I saw a cartoon in a newspaper where a man was in a computer shop and just bought a new computer.

The sales assistant said to the purchaser: "If you have any problems with your new computer, just ask your son."

I know exactly how that son feels!
    </*slightly off topic*>

My dad uses windows on his desktop pc and ubuntu on his laptop and transfers files between the two quite happily. He's in his 70s.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You sir, are ignorant. Ask any person between 30 and 50 even today, and they'll either not have any computer experience, or relatively little (average user).
    The word "any" kind of jumps out of that statement(ignoring the insults of course).
    I`d have thought much of the technology you use in your daily life would have been invented/designed/built by that age group you mention.

I do know what you were trying to say though...kinda.
    Most people i know(fellow moms & pops) that do have pc`s have usually had them for varying numbers of years but yet still could`nt tell you the slightest thing about them.
    I`d only been using Windows myself a few months last year and still didn`t know my a**e from my elbow but yet i was helping people i knew who`d had the things for years in many cases.
    Now i help every pc user in the area it seems at times ....it`s a curse.
    I dont mind really,the more i learn the more my kids learn.Plus it`s has it`s other benifits

That though was my only reason for ever sitting down at a pc in the first place.I knew tooo many other familes with young kids let loose on the pc`s & internet when the parents themselves did`nt have a clue what was going going on.
    II have 4 young girls,that scared me into action i suppose.

There are also many many people in my age group that i know who have never touched computers though and probably never will.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans

You sir, are ignorant.
    Ask any person between 30 and 50 even today, and they'll either not have any computer experience, or relatively little (average user).
    Er...any person?

I'm 37, and not only did I install Ubuntu on my computer all by myself, I also built the damn thing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Er...any person?

I'm 37, and not only did I install Ubuntu on my computer all by myself, I also built the damn thing.
    I am 46 and have an MSc in Distributed Systems and Networks, and a BSc in Computer Science.

Think I can cope with PCs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile Re: my dad with a computer

Quote Originally Posted by beercz View Post
    <*slightly off topic*>
    Years ago I saw a cartoon in a newspaper where a man was in a computer shop and just bought a new computer.

The sales assistant said to the purchaser: "If you have any problems with your new computer, just ask your son."

I know exactly how that son feels!
    </*slightly off topic*>.
    Me to, and my dad is getting his masters in computer visualizeation so you think he wouldn't need help? go figure.
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。
    Linux to all, and to all, let freedom ring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

well its been a while but i have actally done it.
    my dad is now happily using ubuntu and loves it. it has been a wee bit stressful, i took me 30mins to explain to him what the desktop was, and you can imagine how much longer to copy photos from a sd card to his pictures folder. But the good thing is he is lovin it. He is getting the hang of it. But i have told him to stop phoning me with every simple problem and to use the web for solutions.
    he is gettin better every day i set up his pidgin for him with google talk and he thinks that is the business.
    I`ll keep ya posted how he fairs out, who knows he could be showing me how to do stuff sooner or later cus i`m no expert myself.

my next task is to put ubuntu on my mates old apple g3

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast