Thread: Still Image Capture

Beans

Still Image Capture

I'm not able to locate a method to capture a still image from Live TV or a recording to a file on disk.

Seems like it would be ideal to press a button and then your still image plops into a predefined location for later retrieval. In fact, seems like basic functionality, it's got to be in there somewhere, and I'm just stupid for not finding it.

Can someone tell me where it is?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Still Image Capture

Quote Originally Posted by macegr View Post
    I'm not able to locate a method to capture a still image from Live TV or a recording to a file on disk.

Seems like it would be ideal to press a button and then your still image plops into a predefined location for later retrieval. In fact, seems like basic functionality, it's got to be in there somewhere, and I'm just stupid for not finding it.

Can someone tell me where it is?
    You might be able to map "print screen" to a remote button using lirc.
    As for having it automatically saving the screens to a predefined location for later retrieval, you should be able to find the XFCE/gnu-util of your choice that does that.
    Last edited by road2elysium; November 17th, 2007 at 11:17 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by road2elysium View Post
    You might be able to map "print screen" to a remote button using lirc.
    As for having it automatically saving the screens to a predefined location for later retrieval, you should be able to find the XFCE/gnu-util of your choice that does that.
    So still image capture is NOT a part of Mythtv, you're saying. Ouch...still image capture was around years before anyone considered recording video on a computer. Remember Snappy?

Your suggestions are pretty weak, since simply capturing the screen is far below optimal. First I'm not sure I can even print-screen an overlay surface, and second if I pause the stream and adjust to the exact frame I want, there will be a huge ugly "Paused" OSD on the image that gets captured, instead of the full TV frame. It just seems like a huge oversight to have this application that deals in a sequence of millions of still images be unable to save the occasional jpeg.

I'm not against digging into code and implementing a feature I need, but would take a lot of work to switch gears on this project. For Mythbuntu I'd hoped to kick back and enjoy some quality open source for once. Now that I'm actually trying to keep a Mythbuntu box running for more than 18 hours, I see that the MythTV project is held together with scotch tape and chewing gum, but oh well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I know I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree...

But couldn't you just say, I don't know, set the playback for fullscreen if you want a really big pic, pause the damned video, and hit PRINT SCREEN?

It seems to work just peachy for me.

Cheers,
    Ghost|BTFH