Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Time With Fedora 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: My Time With Fedora 8

I installed Fedora 8 a few days ago and had different problems. My USB mouse connected via a hub, was detected during installation then, after system installed, mouse could be used up to log in, then was ignored. I could live with that, in the hope of a future bug fix. But then found that their new Pulse Audio system failed to detect my sound card - first failure after trying about 10 different Linux distros. That was too much, so back to Ubuntu. Still endure bug here with gnome-power-manager (have to launch it manually each time else Quit takes ages to work), but generally happy. I like the small touches that show how much thought has gone into the design, such as Add/Remove on main menu offering easy way to launch newly installed applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I also tried Fedora 8 on a VM, and the first thing I noticed was how it would provide you with purchase options for the codecs. Put nicely, that was something I was not used to especially when all I have to do is just apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras.
    Think before you type: If anybody asks you to type anything with rm -rf on the CLI, DO NOT do it! As a matter of fact, if you don't know what a set of commands will do, ask for clarification from other members.
    My home page: www.cyeungrun.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dasunst3r View Post
    I also tried Fedora 8 on a VM, and the first thing I noticed was how it would provide you with purchase options for the codecs. Put nicely, that was something I was not used to especially when all I have to do is just apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras.
    This is also an option in Fedora, however the distribution will not package or point a user to anything (a) nonfree or (b) possibly patent encumbered from official sources. Technically, to use the codecs fluendo provides you do need to pay for the license. If you use the livna repositories or the freshrpms repositories (think of them as a mix between universe and medibuntu) you can get the codecs in the same ways as Ubuntu (w32codecs, libdvdcss, gstreamer-plugins-ugly, etc.). But for legal and ethical/philosophical reasons the distro will not officially point users to these.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

I also tried Fedora 8 for a week, hoping its reputation for laptop ease and SElinux would impress me. To be honest, I hadn't realized how lucky we were in the Debian-based world. Aptitude rocks, yum is feeble at best. I had a 55 package update right after installing. Great! The same thing happens on most of my ubuntu installs... quite a few very recent updates. In Ubuntu with deb packages, I updated totally within an hour, probably half an hour, on a fairly slow broadband connection. With yum, it took me days. Even after the packages downloaded, it just sat there computing and calculating for about 12 hours, and you can't even tell from status bars or progress reports whether it is hanging, non responding or working!

Also, the thing detected my Radeon 1200X series card, but wouldn't go above 1180x 700 or some weird resolution like that, no matter what I did to xorg, for six hours or so.

I had had enough, Red Hat releases stuff that is not only bleeding edge, but soaking blood wet tampon edge.

Back to Ubuntu for good!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I also tried Fedora 8 for a week, hoping its reputation for laptop ease and SElinux would impress me. To be honest, I hadn't realized how lucky we were in the Debian-based world. Aptitude rocks, yum is feeble at best. I had a 55 package update right after installing. Great! The same thing happens on most of my ubuntu installs... quite a few very recent updates. In Ubuntu with deb packages, I updated totally within an hour, probably half an hour, on a fairly slow broadband connection. With yum, it took me days. Even after the packages downloaded, it just sat there computing and calculating for about 12 hours, and you can't even tell from status bars or progress reports whether it is hanging, non responding or working!

Also, the thing detected my Radeon 1200X series card, but wouldn't go above 1180x 700 or some weird resolution like that, no matter what I did to xorg, for six hours or so.

I had had enough, Red Hat releases stuff that is not only bleeding edge, but soaking blood wet tampon edge.

Back to Ubuntu for good!
    Reputation for laptop ease? Haha... I love fedora, it's my favorite distro.. but laptops tend to need more proprietary drivers and Fedora has none of them. If anything, fedora is a poor choice for laptops unless you are willing to put in some work to set stuff up.

As for yum, it is actually a really good package manager, Try installing the yum-presto and yum-fastestmirror packages. This should speed it up a good deal.

What driver were you using for that card? The avivo driver is rather poor, the radeonhd driver isn't ready yet, and the proprietary fglrx driver is only available through a third party repo like livna (or direct from ati). Fedora actually does a great job setting up xorg automatically in almost all cases, so I am surprised by your troubles. If I had to guess I would guess that it isn't properly detecting all your monitor's modelines. Either that or the driver you are using isn't the right one. If you still have the partition feel free to post your xorg.conf.

What is it with Ubuntu users these days?
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    What is it with Ubuntu users these days?
    What do you mean?
    First they ignore you...
    Then they laugh at you...
    Then they fight you...
    And then you win!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RebounD11 View Post
    What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post

Back to Ubuntu for good!
    This is at least the 5th or 6th completely thoughtless rip on a distro I've seen this week (certainly not just Fedora). The "other OS talk" used to be a great forum for discussing pro's and con's of all operating systems, but it's gotten out of hand recently. The poster I quoted had some perfectly legitimate issues with Fedora. But instead of either (a) asking for help, or (b) politely noting that Fedora wasn't for him/her, we got a rather grotesque slam that was quite unmerited. The issues listed are simple fixes that are all of a sudden the end of the world? Others have recently sworn off distro's for life because of similar issues.

Look, you can call me a fanboy of whatever distro the discussion happens to be on at the moment (I've been called a fanboy of Mandy, Fedora, Suse and many more... and I don't even use suse), but the truth is I love the discussion. I get frustrated especially because this comes from linux users, who would turn around and tell windows users who are having similar issues adjusting to Ubuntu to learn the new OS before judging. Fedora is indeed linux, but yum is a new program with its own ins and outs. To expect it to work exactly like apt is naive. They both have pro's and con's and excel in their own areas.

I don't care if people review a distro favorably or not, I just get frustrated by those vocal complainers who bash without understanding why, or judge the entire future worth of a distro on how well one release worked. I find these types of posts to be damaging to good discussion, and popping up more and more frequently.

And yes, if you look back through all my posts I'm sure you will find one or two posts that might fit this mold (*cough* arch *cough*)... all we can do is try, we certainly have our weak moments.

Beans

I don't care if people review a distro favorably or not, I just get frustrated by those vocal complainers who bash without understanding why, or judge the entire future worth of a distro on how well one release worked. I find these types of posts to be damaging to good discussion, and popping up more and more frequently.
    +1
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Beans

Conary ftw ! ! !

Beans

I think it's in the nature of people to throw away something just because it's different from what they know and are used to.

Some of us can suppress that some can't... this is the main reason people don't give up Windows, because Linux is not like Windows. They have to get a major blow from their OS (my case with Windows) to switch (or at least give a fair chance) to another OS.

This is my opinion... please don't take it as an insult if you feel offended by it
    First they ignore you...
    Then they laugh at you...
    Then they fight you...
    And then you win!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast