Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Time With Fedora 8

Beans
    Hidden!

My Time With Fedora 8

Well, I think I may be back for good. I used Fedora 8 for almost two weeks, and there was an awful lot that I liked about it. Ultimately though, I couldn't get past Fedora's package management system, which made tweaking my system more difficult than on Debian based systems. I also had font troubles (sidenote: If I had to compliment Gutsy Developers on just one thing, beautiful font rendering. No tweaking necessary), that were solveable, in theory.

What does Fedora have going for it right now?

1. Great default theme. I didn't even change it. Nice wallpaper. Icons. The default theme's colours are changeable. Just a great, great job. Kudos to the artwork team over there, you've set the bar high for the hardy crew.

2. The music mixer, pulse audio. One thing I miss in ubuntu from Vista is the ability to set sound volume individually per application. Fedora has that, and hopefully Hardy will too.

3. Great community. Anyone used to the great community here will feel right at home over there.

4. Nice startup. Bit smoother and nicer than Ubuntu. Still does a few switches to black text, but it's definitely more polished.

Using their add/remove was onerous. That's it. It's not even Yum I was disliking, it was their gui frontend. And fonts. Anywho... time to look around and see what I've missed....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: My Time With Fedora 8

Thanks for the info Arthur. I was going to try fedora too but if the fonts don't look good then I'll skip. Font rendering was the reason I never stayed with linux before ubuntu (and the dreaded kernel panic message).
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been playing with Fedora a bit on a VM, and so far I really like it. What about the package managment do you not like?
    Don't Panic!
    Practice safe text. Never run a command unless you know exactly what it is going to do.
    Ubuntu User #1132
    Linux User #417929

Beans
    Hidden!

@ Kolepetero: I'm not saying the fonts can't look at good, I'm certain they can. But on an lcd screen they won't look as good as ubuntu out of the box, and you'll need to translate instructions written for mandriva (which were based on instructions written for ubuntu) to do it.

@Incense: Well, anyone who has used Ubuntu's add/remove will be shocked to see something with the same name, but vastly different functioning in Fedora. Navigating it by category is quite difficult.

For example, I wanted to add openoffice and remove abiword. I opened add/remove. You have to make sure that "Office" has a check in it, if so, you can click on 'Options" which then takes you into a synaptic style layout. Now, you're essentially working in what looks somewhat like synaptic. Not very user friendly to the new person. But ok, I browse to openoffice, select writer, calc, and math and assume it will do the rest. Click apply. Head over to my main menu, and my office menu is gone. It's installed, but a reboot is required to get it into the menu.

Then I removed what I always remove in Ubuntu, but there are two differences: It has different dependencies (ok, not a big deal), and it doesn't warn you as clearly that it is removing important stuff. So I removed all the evolution stuff, and in Ubuntu it warns you that you are removing Ubuntu-Desktop, which if you google tells you its just a metapackage and nothing to worry about. In Fedora it pops up a box listing (by package name) what you're adding/removing, then it does a dependency check, then it pops up a box that looks just like the one you just said ok to, but this one has all the dependencies that it's going to remove. You click on details to see what it wants to do, and it just lists package names again, and depending on what you're removing, loads and loads of package names. The first time I completely missed all of this an accidently removed gnome. The second time I was a little more cautious, but when I tried to add openoffice I also added something else (tetex maybe?) that installed half of all the kde apps in my menu.

Then there is the fact that it's a little slower than ubuntu's gui front-ends to apt, and a little more unpolished in the details. For instance, if you're working in the list tab and removing apps one at a time so you can check their dependencies it will kick you back to the category tab after removing an app. When you switch back to the list tab it takes a few seconds (5 or so) as it reloads the list. You need to reload the list every time you remove an app, thus discouraging you from removing one at a time.

Just a few of the reasons. I don't think this has anything to do with YUM, just its gui frontend. And perhaps there are fixes to this, alternate programs, but I just gave the default a spin and felt like the appearance reasons for switching and audio benefits weren't compelling enough to warrant investing the time in maxing out the potential of fedora's package management. Debian's got something that's really great already. Plus, another thread turned me on to the new clear-looks, which is really nice.

Beans

You did try yumex right? Pirut is a bit junky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I also very like Fedora's artwork and "tried to try" Fedora 8 today but no luck, it couldn't be installed I tried the Live CD though and it looks really great. But I have font problem, too. Firefox's fonts are too small on my fedora machine and it cannot be fixed via the Firefox's preferences...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuuuuuu View Post
    I also very like Fedora's artwork and "tried to try" Fedora 8 today but no luck, it couldn't be installed I tried the Live CD though and it looks really great. But I have font problem, too. Firefox's fonts are too small on my fedora machine and it cannot be fixed via the Firefox's preferences...
    Firefox has a setting for minimum font size - which one needs to set to their preferences.

Beans

I think he was talking about the small text size of the pull down menu fonts. They should be controlled by the OS but I can't adjust them. I can hardly see them in F8 - very small.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No, the web sites has small font size and I know the preference that you can adjust the font sizes but it does not work I tried Fedora 6-7-8 and they all have this problem for me...

Beans

Weird ... My Firefox fonts were way too large the after install. BTW has anyone had any problems with Fedora's Network Manager or Firefox? For me NM couldn't connect (I think I fixed it but I'm afraid to reboot, I think it will break again), and Firefox refused to start until reinstalled, and the first start took about an hour... it updated something (even if it was 2.0.0.9 which I think it's the last version). Other than that great distro and so far it takes up the least amount of disk space, less than any other distro which I had with Gnome, KDE and Xfce4 installed.
    First they ignore you...
    Then they laugh at you...
    Then they fight you...
    And then you win!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast