Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Still Doesn't Make it On Desktop

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation Linux Still Doesn't Make it On Desktop

Hello guys, it has come to my attention while reading my RSS feed at PCWorld this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...n_desktop.html

Please I would like to read your reactions. Thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Linux Still Doesn't Make it On Desktop

what does iTunes have to do with business desktop?

and is it REALLY a reason not to use linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There are a number of things I could take issue with but this stands out:
    And cost is the hidden factor. While much is made of Linux's being free, the truth is that software costs account for only about 10 percent of total cost of ownership for PCs.
    Concidering that the this is a Business Centre article, although the article talks to some degree of both business and home, this statement is absolute rubbish. Anyone who has worked in corporate IT will tell you that licensing software from Microsoft is a major cost.

Hardware, excluding replacement due to failure, is not typically replaced yearly unlike a lot of licensed software.

As for home use, software cost is a factor and his numbers do not add up: consider an OEM PC with pre-installed Windows Vista, here's one from PC World - £311.99. Now factor in a copy of Microsoft Office at £84.99 (Home and Student), Anti Virus subscription (Norton IS at £24.99) and a graphics package (Paintshop Pro) at £54.97. That comes to a total of £164.95 or in other words, 52.87%.

This factor of 10% would need to be aimed at a PC costing around £1650 which is well above what the "average needs" desktop user spends and certainly higher than neccesary for a client at work.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That article makes me wonder how he ever became an IT reporter...

And the lack of a substandard bloated crap like iTunes is actually a positive point for linux!
    Last edited by the.dark.lord; October 2nd, 2007 at 01:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

agreed
    this is the most BS i've ever ever read
    itunes lol
    I feel so old... so very old

My rig(s) (in 2007)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...postcount=1405

Beans
    Hidden!

People act like windows is some holy grail of operating systems and being just like it is good.

And cost is the hidden factor. While much is made of Linux's being free, the truth is that software costs account for only about 10 percent of total cost of ownership for PCs.
    You're saving 10% here. Would you rather save less?

Sorry, consumers, but there's no version of iTunes for Linux.
    People actually use iTunes? Honestly? Anything Linux has can beat it outright. The audio player that linux can't beat is foobar2000.

For now and the foreseeable future, it's going to remain a Microsoft world. Linux still isn't the answer.
    Depends on what your question is.

"WHAT OS DO I RUN TO USE ALL MY MICROSOFT SOFTWARE?". Windows, obviously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If iTunes is the issue here, then he's stupid, hasn't he heard of a little gizmo called Wine? I personally managed to run the latest version of iTunes on my Ubuntu 7.10 and even better, it was the 64 bit version.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
    so everything becomes so obvious now...
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Considering the stuff in the article, here are my answers:-

significant features would be missing because of a lack of driver support.
    Linux has very good hardware support, if he had a look at Vista, then he would know that even that has it's fair share of incompatible hardware. And concerning hardware, this is where Linux overpowers MS. Now one day, one of my friends came up to me with an external HDD that was corrupted. He told me that Windows doesn't read the disc at all and only told him that it was unrecognisable. I then decided to give it a try with Linux and guess what, the drive was detected completely with no errors, and after a format using Linux, it was fixed and started working with Windows as well.

I guess he hasn't seen the price of Vista. If someone bought a 2000$ laptop/desktop. Then if that person bought Vista(about 200$), MS Office(150$), That alone would be 17.5% the price of the laptop with the software being basic.

Finally, there's the lack of critical application support. Most notable for businesses is the lack of support for Microsoft Office.
    What on earth?? Linux has a lot of applications, if anyone came over to Linux and had a look at the software then they would be amazed as they can find alternative software/Linux versions of their software that can fit their needs perfectly, and they are very usually free.

I believe from what I've seen in the article, that the reporter has not used Linux at all, let alone a popular distro and is basing his facts on what he has heard from the Windows community. The fact that Linux is not ready for desktops is utterly ridiculous since Ubuntu is one the most user-friendly distros I have seen and the only distro I think I will ever need.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast