Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lupin on Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lupin on Mac

O.k., on first glance grub2 seems like a viable option, http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnMacbook however it seems that it would still require refit cause on http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnEFI it says that using grub2 directly instead of refit is only tested on a mac mini. Even if I would get it running ( but I have only one machine atm and would like to keep it bootable ) it would not ensure that it runs on all intel macs.
    That said, I don't mind running refit, but I'm not sure how the average mac user will feel about it Also maybe refit can be silenced/suppressed (creating the illusion of directly switching to grub2 ) but I'm not sure. Would this be a good idea?

Beans
    Distro

O.k., I found a x86_64 grub2 efi version somewhere on the forums, cause so far I have not yet succeeded in compiling it on mac os x and like I saif no linux box to do this on atm.
    I am able to select it (grub) in refit and after flashing something (the menu maybe?) for a very short period it returns me to the grub command line. There all commands basically work, but after some period the command line seems to freeze, so I couldn't get the long kernel line for wubi to enter before it froze, but changing the root device and ls -l etc. worked.
    So, any ideas, why the menu doesn't show and it freezes?

Beans

Wow, I didn't think anyone else is on this case. Can you outline the steps to get this working?

I really would be interested in this! I have a few macs to test this out with... (an iMac and a Macbook Pro)

I also happen to have a Time Capsule, so I don't mind blow away the computer for this!

Beans
    Distro

@lqqkout4elfy what do you mean by "get this working"? if you mean wubi on os x (or mubi) it is not working currently, and I don't know from where you got the impression it is. This is mainly due to the fact that even if you say, copy the wubi files, linux doesn't have stable write support for hfs+ with journaling, which means it only could maybe work if users turned of journaling, which I think is not good. There also were some other issues ... if you have more than one mac, as seems to be the case, messing with partitions shouldn't be a problem for you. ^^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12