Thread: Should I try serial IR?

Beans

Should I try serial IR?

After lots of futzing with a new install, I think I have a bad IR receiver on a PVR-250. The IR cable seems fine, the tuner seems fine, and I can see IR energy from the remote itself (on a digital camera screen). All lirc setting seem correct as well, so I suspect the female jack into the PVR is not working. Is serial IR a viable solution? I would like to avoid buying a new tuner card if I can help it.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice?

Gasholine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Should I try serial IR?

I thought the same thing with my PVR-150 (even with the camera trick). If the 250 is like the 150, the IR cord connector (the male part) is INSANELY nitpicky. It's not enough for it to be plugged in securely - it must be in the correct position.

Does it have a little slot on it? On mine, the slot has to be at a certain point for it to work properly. IIRC, the slot has to be on the exact left side of the port. Try it in different orientations and see if any of it works.
    Laptop ==> Dell Mini 9 :: 2GB RAM :: Ubuntu Netbook Remix Jaunty

Desktop ==> Shuttle SG31G2 V2 :: Primarily Media Center (XBMC)

Beans

I have an aftermarket cord (tuner was purchased second-hand and didn't come with the IR receiver). I don't see any slot on the male plug.

Gash

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

serial IR is a solution - plenty of them out there - make it yourself kits designed for myth and prebuilt ones designed for myth, but most serial IR devices should work.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
    serial IR is a solution - plenty of them out there - make it yourself kits designed for myth and prebuilt ones designed for myth, but most serial IR devices should work.
    Try these links for more info on homemade/cottage serial/usb IR receivers:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...reciever_parts

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php...R_Transceivers

Beans

Thanks for the information. I believe that will be my next effort should a new pvr-250 cable fail to work.