Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Syncing iPod to iTunes in VMWare Windows Guest

Beans

Re: Syncing iPod to iTunes in VMWare Windows Guest

now do it and Virtual box and tell me the procedure because Im going to pull out my hair trying to get the usb to work!

BTW virtual box seems to run much faster for me although the unity mode was having some issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by nuzeb View Post
    I just successfully synced my iPod Classic with iTunes 7.6.2 under Win XP Home in vmware server 2 beta 2 (Host: Ubuntu Hardy Beta - Kernel 2.6.24.15, but should work for minor versions too). I had nothing special to do. Just installed vmware server (some issues there with little workarounds mentioned in release notes - eg. activate USB 2.0 support).
    Everything works very well except a little speed loss in comparison to a real hardware usb 2.0.
    Huh. Interesting. Does your success have anything to do with Hardy Heron/2.6.24.15? I'm running Gutsy/2.6.22-14, with no luck, albeit using vmware server 1.0.5.

I had a beta of vmware server 2 installed a while back, and lordy -- I thought it was a mess. The interface was so bad that it was nearly unusable.

Hopefully it's been, or will be, improved before we get to the release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I just successfully synced my iPod Classic with iTunes 7.6.2 under Win XP Home in vmware server 2 beta 2 (Host: Ubuntu Hardy Beta - Kernel 2.6.24.15, but should work for minor versions too). I had nothing special to do. Just installed vmware server (some issues there with little workarounds mentioned in release notes - eg. activate USB 2.0 support).
    Everything works very well except a little speed loss in comparison to a real hardware usb 2.0.
    Welp, Nuzeb, laurels for the victor. Preliminarily, this is working with my iPod classic on gutsy. Thanks for the tip. I'll post more details once I've had time to try to break it, and otherwise see if mine eyes deceive me. One thing I had to do was rebuild my virtual XP machine, since bringing my VMware server v. 1 machine over to v. 2 beta wasn't entirely successful, and in fact, died on the operating table. Also, the new XP install had to be service packed before it would work -- otherwise no USB 2.0, and no syncing (not even at 1.1 speeds).

And the UI on beta 2 isn't as bad as it was, though I miss the client.

____
    Update: Slower, but it works. Still a little cranky. Thanks!
    Last edited by phillywize; April 13th, 2008 at 08:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phillywize View Post
    Huh. Interesting. Does your success have anything to do with Hardy Heron/2.6.24.15? I'm running Gutsy/2.6.22-14, with no luck, albeit using vmware server 1.0.5.

I had a beta of vmware server 2 installed a while back, and lordy -- I thought it was a mess. The interface was so bad that it was nearly unusable.

Hopefully it's been, or will be, improved before we get to the release.
    I don't know how much Hardy has to do with this but I don't think any iPod would work with vmware server 1.0.5 because it is lacking USB 2.0 support.

You are right. The web Interface is not the best solution and i liked the client better. But it works quit well (since beta 2).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't know how much Hardy has to do with this but I don't think any iPod would work with vmware server 1.0.5 because it is lacking USB 2.0 support.

You are right. The web Interface is not the best solution and i liked the client better. But it works quit well (since beta 2).

Yeah, iPods will fall back to 1.1, which is how I was doing it with my 5.5G and VirtualBox on Win2k. There's something about the interplay of the iPod USB implementation, the recent linux kernels, and virtualization that has been a problem generally. So.

Here's what I did in some kind of (hopefully) reproduceable (sp?) detail:

1. Uninstalled VMWare server 1.0.5 (I would backup anything you want off of your old virtual machine(s) before you do this, since the conversion over to server 2 beta 2 was not smooth -- at least for me. YMMV. I found that installing 2 beta 2 over 1.0.5 wasn't fully successful. Again, YMMV. Plus, you run into licensing issues if you have your old VM around, I think.

2. Set up your VM and reinstall Windows on it; service pack it. Install iTunes, etc. Shut it down. (service packing it is important, since the original XP didn't have USB 2.0 support, and you only get it with the service pack.) Oh yes, don't forget to add a USB port to your VM.

3. Enable USB 2.0 by adding the following line to your vmx file (or in the advanced configuration options in the web UI:
    Code:
    ehci.present = TRUE
    (This is in the beta 2 release notes, here.)

4. I also followed the instructions here, though I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary. Essentially, it tells you how to make your virtual machine automatically grab control of a particular USB device; here, your iPod. It also has a link to instructions for a linux USB workaround that I set up so long ago in troubleshooting my iPod woes that I can't remember what it did or if it's important; I think it might be, so follow that link and check it out.

5. In terms of getting your ipod to sync with itunes in the VM, I have had the best luck connecting the iPod to my physical machine, letting ubuntu recognize it, and then booting the VM and letting it wrest control of the Ipod from linux. This results in an unsafe removal warning, and probably isn't the greatest thing in the world to do, so if anyone has a better way of doing it... (one hunch, I think it's probably not too dangerous if you don't DO anything with the iPod in linux...I wouldn't be writing a bunch stuff to it in linux, and then let the VM interrupt it...sounds bad.)

Finally, in order to make VMware take control of the ipod, you have to boot the VM from inside the web UI, and use the pulldown USB menu to give the VM control of the ipod (i.e., get the X next to it).

Obviously this is all just anecdotal; please feel free to comment and improve upon what I have here. Thanks Nuzeb!

One final note: I have seen more than one story about iPhones/iPods getting bricked when people try to update their firmware in a VM. If you're brave or if I'm wrong, go for it. I, for one, am too afraid to try it. And besides, my Win XP laptop from grad school needs a reason to go on living.
    Last edited by phillywize; April 14th, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Not that it's exactly on point, but I've noticed that VMware server 2 beta 2 tends to kill compiz when in full screen mode. Ugh. But it's easy enough to open a shell and issue:

Code:
    compiz &
    Still though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This post did the trick (VMware Server 1.0.5) for me, however, still have to format the iPod to use... Let you know if after the format it still works...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=588225

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

Did anyone get this working in Jaunty yet?

Beans

I am successfully running iTunes 8.2.1.6 on Windows XP SP3 through Ubuntu Jaunty with VMWare 6.5.2. I'm using this setup to sync my iPod Touch.

There's only three minor annoyances, other than these it runs flawlessly. 1. I can not update firmware this way. 2. Connecting the iPod sometimes requires me to disconnect and reconnect it in both ubuntu and vmware. 3. Albums seem to have a tendency to be uploaded twice for no reasons at all, which means I have to manually remove the extra songs.

Other than that it runs perfectly and it all worked completely out of the box. There were no extra hassle with configuration or voodoo spells involved.

I hope this was helpful!
    Last edited by TMavro; October 6th, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Beans

Don't know how many people have tried this but I just installed a Windows 7 guest in VMware Workstation 7, installed iTunes and synced my Ipod Nano 5th Gen including software update. I had to disconnect and reconnect once to start with, after that it was totally flawless.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456