Thread: Sucessfully installed WinXP in vmware. Runnung well but one question.

Threaded View

Beans

Sucessfully installed WinXP in vmware. Runnung well but one question.

As stated in the subject line, it appears that I have muddled through an install of WinXP onto Gutsy using vmware. I appreciate the help I was given.
    I have a question, if I may.

Upon cleaning up used files after install, I moved the 'WindowsXPPro.iso' and 'cdrom.img' files to another folder to keep them for posterity.

When I started vmware and windows, it said it couldn't find those moved files.
    Fair enough, I didn't want it to.
    But, it refused to mount the cdrom and floppies because of this and plastered me with error messages.
    I fixed this with the floppies by changing 'floppy0.startconnected' from true to false. I don't have a floppy on this machine so, not a problem.

I fixed the error message with the CDROM by moving the .iso file back into place BUT...... it always mounts this iso file in the CDROM. It won't let me put a different disk into the CDROM for use.
    I figure I need to change one of the 'ide1:0' devices in the vmx file but what do I change it to?

I want my CDROM to act like a normal CDROM.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ok, got it. Set ide1:0.filename to 'auto detect' and set ide1:0.deviceType to 'cdrom-raw.
    Hope that helps someone. Sorry to bother you all.
    Last edited by ascus4; November 14th, 2007 at 08:52 PM.