Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Ubuntu continue to use GNOME?

Beans

Should Ubuntu continue to use GNOME?

hi everyone,

i've been reading some very serious stuff about GNOME/Novell and MONO, and i'm really concerned because GNOME was born to be free, was born to be a replacement of KDE because QT in those times wasn't using GPL.

but now GNOME depends to much in technology that has a lot to do with microsoft, there are too many dependencies to MONO.

tomboy, banshee, beagle etc, all depend on MONO....
    and now even gnumeric is about to be commited to m$-ooxml.

can ubuntu give us a free MONO GNOME?

how about start using other desktop?
    should ubuntu become KDE centric?
    what about ubuntu standardize in E17?

What Lies Beneath (Another Mono Alert)

"In response to criticisms about GNOME’s role in OOXML, Jeff Waugh has just assured Richard Stallman (whom I spoke to yesterday) that a statement will shortly be made to clarify where GNOME stands on the issue of OOXML."

what have you girls and boys of ubuntu FLOSS to say about this?

thank's

RJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Should Ubuntu continue to use GNOME?

i thought GNOME was before KDE?
    I AM AN EVIL CONSERVATIVE
    And I've got a lot of computers running Linux

http://www.tomcarter.us/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by reckless2k2 View Post
    i thought GNOME was before KDE?
    I thought that too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Call me stupid, but I have been unaware of all this MS/Mono/ooxml stuff. I like Gnome. I don't use Beagle, Tomboy or the other stuff you mentioned. I do NOT like KDE. If Ubuntu went to all KDE I would have to go to another distro.

I like the look and feel of my Gnome desktop. And lastly I do NOT like KDE and I will not use it...

Just my 2 cents...

Kevin

PS: I do not like KDE...
    I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good question.

I have been a Gnome user since I started using Linux three years ago. Primarily for altruistic reasons. But also because I found KDE to be ugly and busy, and I hate using a web browser as a file manager.

But KDE4/Dolphin look great, and I am conflicted about Mono. It does seem like a great tool, and a good way to ease .net developers into developing FLOSS. But it could also prove to be a Microsoft trojan horse, maybe even literally, as malware, though more likely for future patent wars over "Microsoft property" increasingly buried in the core of Gnome.

Luckily, we have two great alternatives in KDE and XFCE, and they are already available as Kubuntu/Xubuntu, so if we need to make the switch, it won't cause too much pain. I'm sure that the fine folks at Canonical are keeping an eye on things. In the fight for freedom of intellectual property, they have yet to disappoint me.
    ubuntu others
    as you would have them
    ubuntu you

Beans

Why would Ubuntu use another w/dm if there are Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Elbuntu etc..?

Beans

yes, just switch to kde you will also get free while using kde

joke aside, i think the whole gnome project could be in serious trouble one day because of mono, kde is on the save side

Beans

well if it would get a decent menu editor and its file manager improved XFCE could be a great contender
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rikhard.fsoss View Post
    and now even gnumeric is about to be commited to m$-ooxml.
    Gnumeric isn't going to make OOXML the default.

People have to realise that 90% of new documents will be in Open Office XML, so we have to implement these formats (but use ODF as default).

Regarding mono, I hate it, but only because it's bloody slow, Vala is interesting.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by atlascomplete View Post
    I thought that too.
    KDE came first. Gnome was invented because KDE was dependent on then-proprietary QT libraries from Trolltech (Trolltech later switched QT licensing to GPL with optional commercial license for closed-source software). Gnome built from GTK, which was licensed under LGPL.

I too am somewhat concerned about Gnome's increasing dependency on Mono. Gnome is a very good project, but the fact that it relies so much on a technology that is analogous to - and therefore carries patent and copyright concerns - Microsoft .NET is disturbing. Although Mono insists that it does not infringe on any MS patents, you have to keep in mind that every respondent in civil litigation thinks they've done nothing wrong; Novell and the Mono project is no exception to this type of thinking. There is little certainly in law, especially in an area of law not often contested in court, such as software patents.

However, I disagree on the suggestion that Ubuntu discontinue using Gnome or going for a Mono-free Gnome. Mono is now an integral part of the Gnome desktop, and I don't think it will be feasible to reverse that. The trend can be reined in, but not fully reversed without major work.

Rather, I think Canonical should increase their support for Kubuntu and Xubuntu to the same level as Ubuntu, both of which are treated as second-class citizens.
    Last edited by samjh; November 9th, 2007 at 12:48 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast