Thread: Creating a Bibliography

Beans

Creating a Bibliography

I have been looking for a method of efficiently storing references and creating a bibliography, but try as I might, I haven't found a simple solution. My only requirements are as follows:
    • The finished bibliography must be created in Open Office (Lyx is overly complicated for the simple humanities paper I am trying to write).
    • I must be able to cite works according to the Society of American Anthropologists' style guide.

While people seem to rave about Bibus, I haven't been able to insert a new line into a single entry as the style guide requires, so if you suggest Bibus, please suggest a way to solve that problem as well.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Creating a Bibliography

Quote Originally Posted by jcfisher View Post
    I have been looking for a method of efficiently storing references and creating a bibliography, but try as I might, I haven't found a simple solution. My only requirements are as follows:
    • The finished bibliography must be created in Open Office (Lyx is overly complicated for the simple humanities paper I am trying to write).
    • I must be able to cite works according to the Society of American Anthropologists' style guide.

While people seem to rave about Bibus, I haven't been able to insert a new line into a single entry as the style guide requires, so if you suggest Bibus, please suggest a way to solve that problem as well.

Thanks!
    I'm not sure what you mean by "insert a new line," but you can just modify the style (I believe is uses Bibliography by default) to reformat the Bibus references; if you need additional line spacing, just add that to the style.

teasum is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Another tool to check out is Zotero, which comes as a simple Firefox extension, and is thus cross-platform. I checked, however, and it does not have that precise format available yet. It still might be worth a look, and you can even suggest that output style in their forum. For a solution that meets your needs immediately, however, I'm not sure.

Beans

Zotero is perfect, exactly the type of tool I was looking for - clean, simple, easy, and effective. I'll see about adding SAA to the citation styles available. Thanks!

teasum is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Glad you like it! Be sure to also check out the plugin for OpenOffice, which lets you insert citations and bibliographies directly from your Zotero database. There are still some kinks to work out, but it works quite well for me thus far (as a historian, I use Chicago style footnotes and bibliographies).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I switched to Bibus for paper writing after Zotero plugins for Open Office under my Ubuntu (64 bit, etc) were no longer available. I now use both; Bibus for writing, and Zotero for collecting while surfing. But I am also looking for a way to add a newline to a new Bibus format, and didn't find it yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hi,
    you could also try out Mendeley desktop, it is free, but the licence is complicated, it can store all your PDF files (papers) and it simply creates the references if we add the papers, just like a music player.
    siby

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey, you've said using LaTeX is "overly complicated" for a simple humanities paper, being a humanities student myself, I disagree.

I've been using LaTeX for the past 4 years for all of my philosophy essays, and have even had the lecturers comment on how professional it looks (to the point where one asked me to typeset some lecture notes for him so he could submit it to a publisher).

There's a nice article here which explains how you can use LaTeX for writing humanities papers. I don't use the same style he mentions, but it's a good starting point I think.

Everything we can do with OOo has an alternative available with LaTeX (or the editor we choose to write the files in). May I suggest GNU Emacs and AUCTeX; they work very well together. From GNU Emacs you can have a word count feature (if you need it), an automatic spell checker (again, if you need it), and of course, LaTeX supports - rather well - a bibliography manager.

You can have the aforementioned features available with vim and a different LaTeX distribution (TeX-Live perhaps?), I've only ever used GNU Emacs so I won't comment on vim.