Thanks. Stella has been now added.

Beans

Re: Game Emulation How-To Links

Where do you get games at?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Most console games are copyright and so it's illegal to post or download them, Dwiman89. You shouldn't ask where you can get them on any reputable forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks acoustibop. Thats right Dwiman89, I can't answer that question here. You are only aloud to use an emulator if you own the real game. And with some, like psx, you even need to own the machine because that is the only legal way to have a BIOS file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It isn't documented on the site now for whatever reason, but the latest Mednafen actually now supports SMS/Game Gear games as well. I discovered this by accident, when I was poking around the source tree out of boredom one day and noticed a few "SMS" references. I tried it out on one of the SMS ROMs I had to confirm it worked.

You may want to add a mention of that to your Mednafen description...

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. Updated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jondecker76 View Post
    I just started a new application a few weeks ago that is going to make the emulation front a lot easier in Ubuntu. Hopefully in about a month I'll have a beta ready.
    Any updates on your project, jondecker?
    Join your a Local Linux User Group or an Ubuntu Local Community Team...
    Purchase your next computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and supported for best hardware compatibility.
    Support companies that support Ubuntu and Linux solutions.

Beans

About my project - still working on it, its still a ways out yet. I kind of got side tracked lately compiling some emulators that didn't have any available packages.. But I'm off for a week now, so I'll be working more on it over my break..

Now for a few guides:

XE
    XE is probably one of the best emulators I've used yet. The interface is a little goofy, but very useful, and the auto resolutions have worked great (I have a dual widescreen setup that is usually a pain to get an emulator set up properly for, but smooth as silk with XE)
    Also, of all of its emulated systems, they all play fast and extremely accurate. This is the best genesis emulator available.. TG16 and NES are also some of the best results I've had.

Compiling
    Download the source from
    http://www.xe-emulator.com/index.php?m=download
    extract the source somewhere.
    Install the following dependancies:libxxf86vm-dev,libxv-dev,libasound2-dev,libasound2-plugins
    then make to link the object files. From here you must manually install the emulator to either your home folder or the system folder using one of the two methods below:
    Install to system directory:

1. login as root
    2. 'make' to link the software
    3. 'mkdir /usr/local/lib/xe' to create system directory
    4. 'mv xe rc modules manual.html /usr/local/lib/xe' to move files to
    system directory
    5. 'ln -sf /usr/local/lib/xe/xe /usr/local/bin/xe' to link binary into
    system path

Install to user directory:

1. 'make' to link the software
    2. 'mkdir ~/.xe' to create local directory
    3. 'mv xe rc modules manual.html ~/.xe' to move file to local directory
    4. link or move ~/.xe/xe' to your local bin directory

now just run XE from the terminal or make a launcher for it..

Virtual Jaguar
    I had a Jaguar years ago so I tried this out out of sheer curiosity.. It is a little buggy and doesn't support all games, but its about the best of whats available. Don't expect acceptable framerates with sound turned on without a dual core processor.

Compiling
    First download the source from:
    http://icculus.org/virtualjaguar/
    the link is towards the bottom of the page

Extract the source.. In a terminal cd to where you extracted the source.
    Install some dependancies: libsdl1.2-dev (ok, so there is only one)

Now in the source folder, there is an error in a file.. open up cdintf_linux.cpp in a text editor..
    All the way at the end of the file, the very last function is missing a "}" at the end. Add it in then resave the file.

then from the terminal run ./compile
    you'lll get some errors, but just ignore them.. Once its done compiling you should have a VJ file which is the emulator. But before you run it, you must do one more thing.. In the folder containing the VJ emulator file, create a new folder and rename it "eeproms". I don't know why it isn't created on its own, but it is needed by the emulator.

Now you should be able to run it.. Most games will run without the jagboot.bios, but if you have the bios file, put it in the bios folder. Now you're set to go!

Beans
    Distro

@jondecker76
    Thanks for the 2 new How-Tos! I added links to them in the list. If you separate those into 2 posts, I could link to them separately from the list. Be a little better for the Jaguar one that way I think.

Beans

I'll post better compiling instructions as soon as I get some more free time and make separate threads for them so you can update the links on your list.

Also, since I have received some questions on the Universal launcher I'm working on, I've attached a screenshot of how its progressing.. I had it working great, but then I realized that a "hard coded" approach isn't good so I'm redoing a lot of it to use a database and a more abstract structure that will make it very easy to add more emulators in the future.. As of this screen shot, the program is supporting Stella, Mednafen and Mupen64. Basically it is like a file browser where the root is a display of systems you can emulate and drilling down on one will repopulate the list with all of your installed roms. I'm not going for flashy, just a very easy to use smooth flowing system.

Also, can anyone suggest a name for the application? I originally started calling it "Romulator" but later found out that there is a website called romulator, so I guess I need a new name
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast