Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feedback on a complete HTPC system

Beans

Re: Feedback on a complete HTPC system

I will use linux only so no dual boot but the disks is atm ntfs formatted. I guess I need to format one to the required xfs filesystem then copy over the content to this disk through ftp or something from the windows pc to the linux backend.

When using a backend with no tv-cards as primary backend will the frontends store recorded items locally or on the backen or is this free to configure?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Scrier View Post
    When using a backend with no tv-cards as primary backend will the frontends store recorded items locally or on the backen or is this free to configure?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. But if you are asking what I think, all recorded programs will be stored in whatever directory you specify in the backend setup associated with the machine that contains the tuner doing the recording. So you can have each backend store its recordings wherever you specify, which can be local to that backend machine or to a network share.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since I built my HTPC a couple of months ago I can give you some advice .

CPU + Mainboard

E6420 (overclocked @ 3 GHz, absolutely stable)
    Gigabyte 965P-DS3

This CPU is a top overclocker and much cheaper as your suggested E6750 which might also not be sufficient for 1080p in H264. If not overclocked even some 720p scenes show dropped frames in mplayer output with my E6420.

Graphics

Nvidia 8500 GT (silent passive cooling)

No problems here since the CPU is mostly important. The card delivers native 1920 x 1080 to my LCD.

Sound

Realtek ALC883

Connected to Yamaha DD/DTS receiver via optical out. Works great and sound is fantastic. Merely some DTS tracks don't work at full bitrate (1536 kbit/s) in mplayer and result in stuttering. Xine however plays them smoothly.

WLAN

802.11b/g

Is ok for normal use but NOT sufficient for HD streaming due to much too low speed. I can stream TV (cable and DVB-T) without problems.

Beans

Thanks alot for all information. As for the Firewire card is there anyone having experience with that brand or can recommend some similar firewire card that can manage Fire wire 800. Also how does the playback work in 1080 p when using external disks. If i'm good with USB ill use that but I think it's a little low bandwith for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
    Since I built my HTPC a couple of months ago I can give you some advice .

CPU + Mainboard

E6420 (overclocked @ 3 GHz, absolutely stable)
    Gigabyte 965P-DS3

This CPU is a top overclocker and much cheaper as your suggested E6750 which might also not be sufficient for 1080p in H264. If not overclocked even some 720p scenes show dropped frames in mplayer output with my E6420.

Graphics

Nvidia 8500 GT (silent passive cooling)

No problems here since the CPU is mostly important. The card delivers native 1920 x 1080 to my LCD.

Sound

Realtek ALC883

Connected to Yamaha DD/DTS receiver via optical out. Works great and sound is fantastic. Merely some DTS tracks don't work at full bitrate (1536 kbit/s) in mplayer and result in stuttering. Xine however plays them smoothly.

WLAN

802.11b/g

Is ok for normal use but NOT sufficient for HD streaming due to much too low speed. I can stream TV (cable and DVB-T) without problems.
    Interesting build.
    I am also considering putting together a nice little HTPC for our living room.

now I see that your pc has an overclocked cpu so I would guess it requires some pretty decent cooling, what are you using? how loud is it?
    what kind of case are you using?

also which graphics card will be able to help the cpu the most? in windows the drivers of course unload the cpu so much that any half decent last generation card (as an exmample only Radeon HD2600 which is a poor overall performer but is absolutely spot on good enough for high quality video :review on hd and blue ray)

FYI I am looking at really chomping down on power consumption as to get my box as quiet as possible (heck it needs to work in a living room)

thanks for your ideas

Beans

Hmm, just a quick question here. If I put the tv-cards in the backend and use PS3 frontend (feel free to link me to some site if this has been done) Won't that save me alot of work? The PS3 has the playback of HDMI possible but installing MythTV over it might cause problems. I ask because it halves the frontend I'm currently looking at in price.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yellow dog linux is what's typically put on the psIIIs, but I don't think it uses the hardware video acceleration yet, so it won't be able to playback HD with MythTV on it until that is fixed. You might want to consider appleTV I think some have gotten hd playback on that with linux, or a roku 1000 and mythroku if you can find them cheap enough...
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theacoustician View Post
    Tried wireless N? Did it work any better?

I ask because my house isn't wired and really can't be because of how its constructed. I'm stuck with wireless for data transfer and I'd really prefer a back end server/NAS - front end player configuration rather than having a couple of stand alone Myth boxes scattered about.

wireless G doesnt have the bandwidth for full HD streaming. draft N does however. but i havent any experience of draft N yet. either way that'll be replaced by Wi-MAX in couple of years depending on uptake. Now that would be useful! Draft N is, well, was meant to be, an intermediatery between G and Wi-MAX, but the they can't currently decide on inter-operability issues. If you're going draft N stay all with one manufacturer to be safe.

Other than that, does Gutsy support the high end Creavtive X-Fi and the likes cards, wondering about digital output to my A/V receiver ya see....?!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dubstar View Post
    Other than that, does Gutsy support the high end Creavtive X-Fi and the likes cards, wondering about digital output to my A/V receiver ya see....?!?
    maybe this is my lack of understanding, but why do you need an creative high powered card with a digital output?

if you are using the digital stream from the source (ie say DTS or Dolby Digital THX from the DVD) I always thought you did NOT want to process this in your dvd player / htpc but just pass it through to your a/v receiver and if all you are doing is pass through why bother going with an expensive card that does nothing (and could cause issues with lacking compatibility)

please correct me if I misunderstood

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
    Interesting build.
    I am also considering putting together a nice little HTPC for our living room.

now I see that your pc has an overclocked cpu so I would guess it requires some pretty decent cooling, what are you using? how loud is it?
    what kind of case are you using?
    I'm using simple air cooling with an Arctic Freezer Pro. Temperature is never over 60 ° C under load. If you would play anything audible you cannot hear the system. Only with complete silence in the room one is capable of recognizing a very silent fan noise which however doesn't annoy me but well might others. Depends on personal taste.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123